gas pressure adjustment for different ammo

I just received my Saiga 12 and have read alot obout making an adjustment for gas pressure for different types of ammo loads. I plan to try everything from light target in 2 3/4" and heavy slugs and mag loads in 3". The manual didn't mention anything about makeing this type of adjustment. Can some describe the process, and what is the factory default setting - probably the hotter 3" I am assuming. Thanks

twinhairdryers,

Makc probably explained it better than I could ever do, so just click on the link here:

Makc's explanation

Umm, before I forget (and you get a *REAL* gas regulator setting suprise!) make sure that your Saiga-12's barrel can actually handle firing those heavy slugs (i.e. - it's not a full choke model). :cryss:

Edited by Gaddis

Wow;

thanks - it doesn't get any clearer than the pics on the other post. Mine came from factory with #2 setting, and my only ammo I was going to try out tomorrow was my old goose loads (3" #4 magnum winchesters). I think i'll try the #1 position first, and back it down for light loads.

So if I do have the full choke stock version, you think it might not shoot heavy slugs well?

my FULL choke (1,0) must be some european bullshit, cause its almost a smoothebore. I CAN blaze all day with it with slugs.... Just thought Id share that....mine looks like NO CHOKE and its stamped full....is "ful" a different word is russian or something? I posted this before...noone answered?

right now I fire everything except steel shot down my barrel in 2 3/4 AND 3" in buckshot, bird shot, slugs, you name it. I just crank my gas plug all the way IN, and unscrew it past the "2" and around to the "1" position for the least gas flowage. my "2" is almost perfect totally screwed in on my saiga. I MIGHT have 10 degrees if I crank the plug in past my first setting till it goes no more. probably less, maybe 5 degrees. again, what makc said. screw it all the way in, then unscrew the plug to the first alignment of "1" and try that with some light skeet rounds and see if it jams. if it dont, yer all good. if it does, skeet is "2" and everything else is "1". I dont usually have to change my setting from the first pass of "1".

Edited by Bvamp
So if I do have the full choke stock version, you think it might not shoot heavy slugs well?

twinhairdryers,

Umm, I don't know (maybe Bvamp is right with the Saiga full choke being overly "generous") and maybe more experimentation is needed in that area to see if a FC Saiga-12 could shoot them safely. I was just thinking out loud with some of the funky pure copper slugs that are being put out now by the major manufacturers that it might turn rather unplesant if someone who might not know any better decides to run a few through at the test range?

Maybe we can get presidental hopefull John Kerry (being a savvy "firearms" man concerned about all us Americans safety and all) to volunteer to test out this theory for us first? :D

Ive been gathering up different slugs and sabots to test for you guys through my saiga to prove to you guys its ok to use them with the right barrels. I should be able to get out to the range this week. Ive been shooting through a normal full choke barrel for YEARS now, and never had a single problem with slugs. I expect the saiga to spit em out like a champ. I'll keep you all posted. My only fear is if the action can take it. the 7.62 kicks like a girl, a 12 gauge round kicks like a mule, a 3" magnum slug kicks like a bull....

I got some super express heavy load bird shot(makes stuff explode nicely) and i have it on the normal setting, should i set it to the mag setting? its not a 3incher, because i let a friend fire it and he was whining for hours about how bad his shoulder hurt, it dont bother me, im just wondering if im using the wrong setting.

Choked SAIGA's are 1mm restriction. This is MORE than full-would be'extra full'.

I would not use slugs or large steel shot in one of these. Have the barrell machined for screw chokes. You will probably never have a barrell bulge out -due to the gas vent(mutch of AK relibility is due over kill in the gas port/piston size) but the stress at the muzzle could cause radial cracks. The oldtimers rule of thumb is that if a dime will not go thru the muzzle don't shoot slugs.

Have FUN--be SAFE

G O B

Thats why I recommend checking with a dime (or mike if available) to see what you really have. Mine was marked .1 and the choke miked about .680 choke was about 2" long.Patterned shot TIGHT.

G O B

I know the dime trick. Ive loaded them. this is almost a nickel. true 12 gauge. does the word "FUL" mean anything to our russian friends maybe...maybe it means NIL to them. who knows. if i HAD a choke on this gun without a rifled barrel, I would want no choke or screw "sets" as they refer to them as. set...heh...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwkay.

if the dime dont drop into the muzzle, then you shouldnt do it. Mine is labeled the same way and dimes pass with room to spare. also, try a dime inside of a spent hull. notice that it fits almost perfectly?