Need info before purchase

Hello all,

My first post glad I found this site very informative.

I am in the market of purchasing a hunting rifle and as far as Ive heard is that cant go wrong getting a 308. As soon as they said 308, the M1A came to mind then got shot down by congress (ahemm, I mean my wife) :ded: because $$$$ price difference is night and day.

In regards to accuracy can it match close to the M1A? Is it possible to get at 1 or even sub MOA with some talent and a good scope? I know Im asking much based on the price. Durability? Reliability? And is it finnicky with the type of ammo brand (probably loves wolf)

Anyway, appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

I myself, even with the crap trigger, was able to get a 1 inch group at 100 yards every 4 or so 3-shot groups. I imagine that with an improved trigger (and a better shooter :P ) you could consistently get 1 inch groups.

I have heard of some people here getting sub-MOA accuracy out of theirs, but I think thats more an "Occasional, woohoo!" thing than it is a consistent result.

Plain fact is, though, that IMO you don't need much better than 1-MOA accuracy unless you're doing super-long-range firing (500+ yards) or are a competition shooter. For plinking or just your own tacticool battleishrifle, this one works much better (IMO, again) than an M1A per unit of expense.

ive got one 16 incher in each cal, and they are all moa capable, the 762 russian i really have to work for, the 308 is easier, and the 223 does it with a yawn. i don't know about the longer bbl models, but seeing as the 22 inch bbl, gets you 4 or 500 fps faster at the muzzle, this would be good to know for long range hunting purposes.

oh yeah, the 308 trigger is something out of a steven king novel. i had a gunsmith acually reshape mine, JUST the actual trigger part. made it a little better, emphasis on the little. so if you get one, get it converted.

Personally... I fond an S308 trigger to pull almost IDENTICAL to the way a K-31 Swiss trigger pulls... although a lot harder then the K31...

( K31's have probably the BEST and most crisp triggers of ANY military rifle out there!)

But the S308 pulls the same way!!!!

If you can shoot a K31... you can shoot an S308 no problem...

:smoke: