Conversions in N Texas

(Totally unrelated to the new 20 rounders coming out. Honest. Really.)

Anyone know somewhere in North Texas that will do a conversion of my saiga to P-Grip and all the associated new stuff? Preferably someone you know to be reliable.

I know MGS does it, but I'd like to know if ya'all know of anyone else out there does it, so I can price compare.

go to Google and type in Saiga conversion you will get it.

I can find guides for converting the 7.62x39 and such, but none for the .308. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but i'd be uncomfortable taking a drill to a firearm. If I did something wrong, i'd basically be out a $350 gun.

no guts, no glory. ;)

actually the .308 is easier than the x39 to convert... no weird axis pins to mess with.. all you have to do is get the conversion plate removed from the bottom of the receiver and the rest practically falls into place.

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

This is for the 7.62x39 and .223. The .308 is the same except for there are no pins to drill out for the trigger. The measurements for the pistol grip hole are probably different, but yours may already be cut out. My .308 and 7.62x39 already had the pistol grip hole. My 12 did not.

Field strip your rifle and study the conversion instructions. They are easier to understand with your rifle there to look at.

This is for the 7.62x39 and .223. The .308 is the same except for there are no pins to drill out for the trigger. The measurements for the pistol grip hole are probably different, but yours may already be cut out. My .308 and 7.62x39 already had the pistol grip hole. My 12 did not.

Field strip your rifle and study the conversion instructions. They are easier to understand with your rifle there to look at.

I assume you can just look inside the reciever to check if you have the pre-cut holes for the pistol grip and the new position for the trigger, right? If those are pre-cut, it's probably something I could manage easily enough.

I assume you can just look inside the reciever to check if you have the pre-cut holes for the pistol grip and the new position for the trigger, right? If those are pre-cut, it's probably something I could manage easily enough.

You are correct, you can remove the dust cover and the bolt carrier and you will be able to tell. I think the trigger hole is already cut in all of the saigas. If there is no pistol grip hole you can use a SAW style pistol grip from TAPCO and get by without cutting a new hole. Once its all bolted together no one will know the difference.

I'm getting ready to do my first conversion also. The FCG I plan on buying is from K-Var, https://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16409

Am I going to run into any problems with grinding the hammer or anything like that? Or is there a better FCG?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to use an RPK lower retainer for the synthetic handguard. I should be able to drive out the FSB pins, remove the FSB and then drive out the gas block pins. Remove the gas block then slip on the lower retainer. Dremel a grove into the barrel so the retainer will work. Do I have that right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I read in the forum about the RPK lower retainer working with the .308.