New compliant stock design for my Saiga

For background, my wife is petite. She has started expressing a desire to try out shooting clay pigeons. I'm pretty pleased that she is open to trying to plink targets with me :) . She really did not like my 12 ga pump :cryss:, so I bought an inexpensive 20 ga for her. The Saiga was cheap enough, that if she didn't like how it fired either, I wouldn't be too upset for buying it.

Well when she held the Saiga (design by big Russians for the full size Europeans) she felt it was too large and heavy. I knew that holding the weight of the Saiga with her arms fully extended would "feel" heavier than if I could move the weight of the gun closer to her body, giving her better leverage B).

The obvious first step was to move the Saiga 3" closer to her by moving the trigger group back to the original forward location. But to do that would require a different grip and stock. I didn't want to fall into the "Assault Weapons Ban" (AWB) territory :unsure: and considered ways to size the gun for my petite wife.

I did the BATF research :google: and found that pistol grips and thumbhole stocks along with the removable mag made the Saiga and AW. My solution would mean a redesign of the stock where the grip is angled ergonomically and continuing smoothly from the lower part of the grip to the shoulder butt of the stock. Further I would have to raise the cheek piece point of the stock to align oneself with the iron sights. I did this with a Monte Carlo style cheekpiece :) .

Here is the design that is neither a pistol grip, nor a thumbhole, and is designed to flow just like a regular stock, with improved ergonomics. Please forgive the unfinished wood and the unshaped deccelerator pad.

The second item that I will perform will be to make the magazine nonremovable. Although I feel this is not necessary, since the stock is not a pistol grip and it is clearly designed in the sporting purposes manner, the AWB shouldn't apply. Even still, if I do modify the mag to be easily loaded, yet nonremovable, that would be another evil feature off the list and further away still from the assault weapon classification. :D

post-2-1085722020.jpg

Also this new stock has reduced the overall length of the Saiga by 4" and brought the gun 4" closer to her, giving her increased leverage. The increased leverage makes the Saiga "feel" 20 percent lighter (it's actually a 20% reduction in the force needed from one's arm to hold the Saiga aimed).

This also reduced length of pull from 14.5" to 12.5" which is much easier for her :wub:.

BrianW :D

post-2-1085723039.jpg

Thoes 2 screwes at the back sure look painful, but i would like a more enfield style one (cant rember if thats what it is) but i know you all know what i talking about, looks like that sorta, just a tad longer.

*edit* AHHHHHH You took a pistolgrip gun and made it thumbhole!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mephis

Hi Mephis,

Man! I wouldn't even dare shoot it with those screws on the outside! :o

They were just there for fit up, and will be fully screwed in after the stock is finished. :smoke:

As for thumbhole...<enable RobertDeNiro>I don't see a thumbhole...do you see a thumbhole, cuz there is ain't no thumbhole to see! <disable RobertDeNiro> :haha:

Here's a better photo with the stock stained.

BrianW :D

post-2-1085885056.jpg