Just got a Saiga .223 - Questions

Hey everyone!

I'm a new Saiga owner, but as the closest thing to an AK you can own in NJ, I just had to buy one. I just have a few questions that seem a bit basic, but are probably necessary to ask.

What is the easiest, most hassle-free magazine conversion? Is there a conversion that only requires magazine manipulation (grinding, sanding)?

What is the best type of ammunition for my weapon? What types should I stay away from?

Is it just as reliable and worry free as an AK47? How important is cleaning and oiling?

Last but not least. The question everyone wants to know. What is the twist of my rifle? Is it 1:9 or 1:7? How can I tell, what is the "patch method?"

Is there anything else that I need to know?

Thanks!

-Kev

922r regulations are such that you can't just convert it to use hi-cap mags and still be legal. Physically sure you can do it, but i would advise against it.

do a search on "922r saiga" that should turn up some info.

There a bunch of tutorials here online on just how to fully convert a saiga to AK config. However if converting it make it illegal in your state....well...i'd suggest not going there.

Know your laws before you do anything.

Other much more knowledgable in conversions will chime in shortly i'm sure....

Hey everyone!

I'm a new Saiga owner, but as the closest thing to an AK you can own in NJ, I just had to buy one. I just have a few questions that seem a bit basic, but are probably necessary to ask.

What is the easiest, most hassle-free magazine conversion? Is there a conversion that only requires magazine manipulation (grinding, sanding)?

What is the best type of ammunition for my weapon? What types should I stay away from?

Is it just as reliable and worry free as an AK47? How important is cleaning and oiling?

Last but not least. The question everyone wants to know. What is the twist of my rifle? Is it 1:9 or 1:7? How can I tell, what is the "patch method?"

Thanks!

-Kev

Hey everyone!

Thanks!

-Kev

Kev,

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new Saiga rifle. RangerM9 is right, please do some research on the gun laws for your locality and state before attempting any conversions. I have found that Wieger mags fit with a minimum of metal removed from the front of the mag ahead of the feed lips. Look back in this forum for pictures and further mag recommendations. As far as reliability goes, you should have near zero stoppages with the rifle out of the box. Some American-made fire control parts may need to be fitted for reliability when doing a pistol grip conversion. Cleaning is almost optional with an AK type rifle. With that being said, your shot group size and tendency for jams will most likely be reduced if regular cleaning is done, though. Some people claim the rifling twist rate is 1 in 9 and some claim 1 in 7. To check your rifle with "the tight patch method" simply take a cleaning rod with a snug patch on the end down the bore with some lube and you will see the rod rotate with the rifling. Measure the distance it take for the cleaning rod to make one full rotation and you will get the approximate twist rate for your barrel.

Edited by Ronswin