As great as the AK-family of rifles is, it seems that many across the boards of the internet think that the Galil [israel] and Velmet [Finnland] variations of the rifle are best among all others. Can anyone tell me why these two rifles carry this distinction among the already awesome Kalashnikov family of firearms?

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Action Arms, IMI import, .308 ARM. Pretty much everything about it was better. At the time in 1986 I paid just a little over $700 for a fully loaded model. I don't know if I could cost justify at todays prices, but it's just a quality piece. Milled receiver, threaded barrel, Good crisp machining and an exellent finish. Pretty much the whole design was purpose built. Get one in your hands and check it out, it's about the only way I can explain it. Mine was a .308, so it shot like a .308 not a smaller caliber.

Full version on the ARM goes-milled receiver, threaded barrel, 2 position rear peep sights with flip up front and rear tritium sights, left and right side safety levers, folding stock (that's where ACE got their design), front bipod that had a wire cutter and bottle opener incorporated in it, and as stated before, the handguard was made to help release heat. The damn thing was made to be shot in the desert sand.

post-1866-1154744096_thumb.jpg

I regret no buying the Galil in .308 in 1987 when it was selling for $400 at a gun store in Westminster, Commiefornia before the 'assault weapon' ban. In 1989 before Bush Sr. banned importation of 'assault weapons' the price shot up to $1,000 and I gave up on buying one. I wanted the Galil because it was made for soldiers with ergonomic features and reinforced magazines. The bottle opener was a necessityat the time because during the 1967 war many thirsty Israeli soldiers used their magazines to open drink bottles in desert conditions. I like the milled receiver and the aperture sights, I also like the cocking handle which can be worked by a left hander like myself.

The Valmet rifles use the same magazines as the Galils for their calibers because the first Galil prototypes were made using Valmet receivers and Colt barrels.

I remember in 1983 when I visited Israel. My cousin got married and another relative came to the wedding with his Galil rifle slung across his shoulder. He preferred the Galil to the M-16s other units used at the time.

Edited by uzitiger

Mag in that picture held 20, I think on one of the board's if not this one, someone was modding them to work but a significant amount of material looks like it was removed. I haven't priced them in a while, but I'd think the M14 mags Tony was doing would have to be a cheaper alternative.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Mag in that picture held 20, I think on one of the board's if not this one, someone was modding them to work but a significant amount of material looks like it was removed. I haven't priced them in a while, but I'd think the M14 mags Tony was doing would have to be a cheaper alternative.

Negative. The .308 Galil mags held 25. There are some good scenes with a Galil in the movie "Way of the Gun".

As great as the AK-family of rifles is, it seems that many across the boards of the internet think that the Galil [israel] and Velmet [Finnland] variations of the rifle are best among all others. Can anyone tell me why these two rifles carry this distinction among the already awesome Kalashnikov family of firearms?

At the original price they were the cats ass. I shot a .223 model back in the 80's. I still remember it, very smooth and accurate. Not to mention 35 and 50 round magazines. :lol:

"Mag in that picture held 20, I think on one of the board's if not this one, someone was modding them to work but a significant amount of material looks like it was removed. I haven't priced them in a while, but I'd think the M14 mags Tony was doing would have to be a cheaper alternative."

AFAIK, the original .308 Galils were equipped with converted 20 round M14 mags. They just welded on AK mag lugs on the front and bad of M14 mags.

Only later did IMI manufacture proprietory 25 round purpose built .308 mags.

The one pictured above is the IMI proprietory 25 round mag.