So, I was out shooting today and put about 100 rounds through my saiga .223 . All the sudden while shooting it jammed. I was in total disbelief as this has never happend before ( at least not in the 2000 rounds I have put through it so far). It appeared that the shells wouldn't go all the way into the chamber. I thought to myself, maybe the last round was a squib and it lodged really close to the chamber. I then discovered that the bullet wouldn't come out after I tried to chamber it. when I finally got the round out I tore the gun down. I sighted down the barrel and it appeared to be clear. I eventually caught a glimpse of something brassy looking near the end of the chamber. I ran a brush down the barrel and half of a shell casing dropped out. From what it looked like, the shell blew itself in half. I was looking at the fragment I pulled from the chamber and it is ultra thin around where the shell was fractured. So, now I am heistant to use this ammo again. I have been using federal and wolf, but the guy at the gun shop reccomended "black hills". These are aparently reloads, which leads me to wonder if this is why the shell popped on me. Anyone else had this experience with this or other ammo?

Shit happens. That's why they make broken shell extractors. Happened to me once with an SKS. The gun shop would love to sell you Black Hills ammo--they're great (and relatively expensive.) I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it now that you know it's very uncommon but not unheard of.

Well, It's good to know that I am not the only one. I figured that it probably happend every once and a while. I guess one out of two thousand rounds isn't really that bad. only thing that bothers me is that right before the shell broke, I had three rounds with bad primers which I know isn't that uncommon but, again, shouldn't happen all in one box. so needless to say, I am hesitant to spend more on ammo that doesn't seem to be as consistant as say Wolf ammo. which isn't saying a lot for the folks at ol' Black Hills. :dollar::killer:

WOW!!! I have shot off THOUSANDS of rounds of black hills... LITERALLY... Thousands!!!

I have NEVER had anything but the best of luck with it... obviously you had a shitty batch!!

Honestly... I would CONTACT THEM, and let them know about the issues you have described, and what box they came out of. There should be a LOT number on the lid of the box, that will allow them to track who made it and when... maybe they can do something for you... maybe not... but at least they will know to be on the lookout for potentially more bad ones. Might save someone else down the line, ya never know...

Besides... the squeaky wheel gets the grease... never hurts to bitch once and a while. :up:

:smoke:

I don't think angrydutchman was using Black Hills--it was either Federal or Wolf that the casing broke. The gunshop recommended the Black Hills stuff to him instead. :smoke:

It was a Black Hills cartridge. I have the piece of shell to prove it. I recently went down to the place where I got these and they said that a few people have come back saying that they have had problems too. They said they were taking all the ammo with that lot number and sending it back. They gave my gun a free checkup to make sure no damage was done. I don't know why everyone bad mouths wolf so much... I have shot at least a thousand rounds without one problem. But then, I have always used the wolf gold stuff. I will though, probably buy more Black Hills ammo in the future. Just because they told the gunshop to give me my money back on the unused shells. Any company that is willing to actually do something is good in my book(also, I was firing noticeably tighter groups with the black hills :D )

I don't think angrydutchman was using Black Hills--it was either Federal or Wolf that the casing broke. The gunshop recommended the Black Hills stuff to him instead. :smoke:

It was a Black Hills cartridge. I have the piece of shell to prove it. I recently went down to the place where I got these and they said that a few people have come back saying that they have had problems too. They said they were taking all the ammo with that lot number and sending it back. They gave my gun a free checkup to make sure no damage was done. I don't know why everyone bad mouths wolf so much... I have shot at least a thousand rounds without one problem. But then, I have always used the wolf gold stuff. I will though, probably buy more Black Hills ammo in the future. Just because they told the gunshop to give me my money back on the unused shells. Any company that is willing to actually do something is good in my book(also, I was firing noticeably tighter groups with the black hills :D )

It's very good stuff in gen'l, and it's not surprising that your groups are tight with it. I misread your initial post. Nice to see they stand behind their product.

Edited by tritium