Triggers/Buttstocks for the .308

Im interested in the Red Star Arms adjustable, but their site lists it as only fitting the 12/20 guage. I just want to make sure it will fit. Ive seen it listed here but I just wanted to make sure.

Also the buttstocks, the Ace folding stock comes in a Saiga specific configuration and they have a saiga addapter as well, does that mean that butstocks made to fit a AK Stamped receiver wont fit the Saiga? If so which ones do, Im interested in either a folder or a CAR extender, I notice a lot of the pix here show these, can anyone list options? Id rather not pay $120 for a stock.

Lastly, for a newbie to this forum Im having trouble with the abreviations like FSB, FCG, ect., is their a FAQ on these?

I'm surprised none of the experts that frequent this topic have replied. I am no expert and am in the middle of converting my first Saiga .308 but I'll try to help as much as I can.

The Red Star Arms (RSA) website is not the easiest to naviagte through. When you order the adjustable trigger there will be a drop down box at the bottom of the page that will allow you to select which gun you want it to fit. You want the VEPR .308 trigger.

As for the Ace, I cannot speak directly about the folder since I have the fixed stock that attaches to the receiver using the external universal block. The Ace universal block fits perfectly and the entire assembly is rock solid. The Saiga .308 will accept all standard AK stocks. I pulled the plastic one off my AK and it fit into the Saiga with no problems - well maybe a little sanding here and there on the stock.

The old maxim you get what you pay for is still true. My Ace stock and universal receiver block cost a little less than $100. A regular plastic stock will run about $45. TAPCO doesn't have the best rep in the world for producing durable, solid stocks. Some here will probably disagree but I have been very impressed by the quality of the Ace. I would not hesitate to take an Ace stocked Saiga into a bad situation. I cannot say the same for a TAPCO folder or CAR style stock.

The Saiga specific stock does not require modification of the rifle. However, without doing the modifications you will not be able to use the RSA trigger. So, I recommend doing the standard Saiga .308 modification which is:

1. Install a pistol grip

2. This will allow you to install an RSA tirgger

3. Install the butt stock of your choice. I highly recommend the Ace.

As for the various abbreviations used here, I don't know if there's an FAQ that explains them. FCG is fire control group, otherwise known as the trigger group. FSB is Front Sight Block otherwise known as the ugly front sight and brush catcher found sticking up on the end of the barrel.

Hopefully, I've helped a bit. Undoubtably, others will chime in with more detailed knowledge.

Edited by Steve in Allentown PA

I responded to a PM with the following and thought it would be of some general interest so I'm reposting it here. The question was basically why was the Ace stock I bought last week so cheap. Well, it sure didn't seem cheap to my wife when the credit card statement came in. :(

- - - - - - - - - -

First of all, it is a fixed stock not a folder so it costs less. Next, it was an overstock item that they were trying to clear out. I just bought it last week so I imagine they still have plenty.

Go to the Ace website http://riflestocks.com/specials.htm and scroll a bit more than half way down the screen to see the "Overstock! AKFX Super Short Stocks".

Then go to http://riflestocks.com/stocks.htm and scroll half way down the screen to see the "Recoil pad 1.0" Thick" which is what I used to make the length of pull longer and to ease the whump of the .308.

Finally go to http://riflestocks.com/AKStampedNoMods.htm and scroll down just a bit to see the "AK Universal Receiver Blocks" that I used to mate the stock with the receiver.

I'm 5'10" and I find that this setup is just about perfect. If you're over 6' you may want a longer stock. If so, check their factory seconds. Neither the receiver block or the receiver needed any modifications at all. Everything fit together perfectly.

One last word about stocks. I favor fixed stocks for their utility. I do not like folders because they do nothing to help the rifle shoot straight although they do look cool, according to my 16yr old son. If you're concerned about CQB, then just stick the stock under your armpit. Doing this results in a rifle that does not extend any further to the front than one with a folding stock plus having the stock under your armpit and held closely to your body adds stability. Just my two cents.

Second the Red Star VEPR 308 fcg - it should be drop-in but you may need to trim the receiver a little - it will have some side-to-side movement but I've experienced no function problems from that - and it can be fixed with properly dimensioned spacers.

As to the stocks - the Saiga has a standard AKM rear receiver/trunion and will take most any standard buttstock. The front handguards are a different story of course.

Some more acronyms: gb = gas block, bho = bolt hold open, rsb = rear sight base, fh = flash hider, pg = pistol grip, bs = butt stock

hmm that's all I can think of right now :)