Markarov 9x18 & CZ-50

I was looking at a local gun shop and saw 2 pistols that I wanted to ask about

1. A East German made Makarov 9x18 pistol @ $220

2. A CZ-50 in 7.65 @ $138.00

What do you guys think about these pistols and is the price and ammo availability/price worth buying one? If you were going to get one of the two which one would it be.

Thanks

Edited by muerte

1. A East German made Markarov 9x18 pistol @ $220

What do you guys think about these pistols and is the price and ammo availability/price worth buying one? If you were going to get one of the two which one would it be.

Thanks

Go with the EG mak. if its in decent shape its well worth 220.00 especially since they are selling in the 300.00 range ! EG maks are the very top in quality and fit finish compared to other Maks. 9x18 mak ammo is easy to find and not expensive. BTW the are also listed on the C&R list if you happened to have a C&R FFL its cash and carry! Now go get it NOW befor someone else does!!!!!!! good luck. RU

1. A East German made Markarov 9x18 pistol @ $220

Thanks

ya i love my mac,, i changed bbl to a .380 acp, its basically a better blowback version of a walther ppk.

to do it though you have to have a special press to press out the bbl and press in the new one.

i did it for easier ammo availability.

Well I did not get the Makarov today. Probably gonna get it at the beginning of the month as the shop does not allow partial payment. I did get the CZ-50 as a plinker and for a start to my collection - start small and end big... The cartridge is 7.65 and from what they told me that is a 32. Is this correct? I want to be sure before I put any rounds thru it. I still have to go get the permit which takes about 5 days so it is still at the shop and I will be shooting it this weekend. It needs to be reblued which I will probably do after I get it. Any recommendations as to what else I may need to do or get for it (I will be ordering a firing pin and probably some spare parts this weekend if I can't find any at the show). There is still a chance I will get itchy and swap it for the Makarov, but we will have to see about that after the gun show. Also are there any forums dedicated to the CZ-50? Thanks for all the help.

Went to the range and shot the CZ-50. I need to get alot more practice and some more mags.

The walther mag it had did not feed at all.

The other would feed fine as long as I only put 5 rounds in the mag. If I put 6 or more it would jam. I don't know if the rounds are not sitting correctly or what, once I get it to the house I will have to play with it and see whats going on.

Of the 100 rounds I put thru it I had 1 FTF. May have been a pad primer as after I jacked the slide again it fired fine.

Still need to order some spare firing pins and will try to find a forum that has info on the CZ-50.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Well I picked up my CZ-50 tonight.

Did a real good cleaning and streched the mag spring a bit.

Now it is feeding the top round when the mag has 8 in it using Fiocchi FMJ's.

I will probably have to order a new spring though.

It has the Lion over N about a stamped 52 on the slide.

The slide has the CZ seal and the 7.65 in circles to either side of the Czech name.

The barrel and slide have matching SN.

The SN starts with 729XXX.

On the frame it has no markings other than under the slide on the left hand side. It says made in Czech and Has what looks like a import stamp that looks to read C.A.I St. Alb VT and right above the mag release it has a big 5 over top of something then a 0 then CZFCH.

The frame, Slide and Barrel need to be reblued as it has some silverish spots on it. The rifleings are immaculate when looking down the barrel and there are no signs of pitting or frosting.

The firing pin is in good condition and the decocker works fine (Tested it at the range with live ammo).

There is some wear on the underside of the slide around the firing pin retaining pin.

The grips are black bakelite with a checkerd pattern.

The screw that holds the grips on seems to be seized and will need to be oiled to let it release.

The slide spring is very strong and the hammer spring seems to be as well.

When I was at the range the other day I had one round that did not fire the first time and did not extract, I racked the slide again and it fired.

All in all I like this gun and have put a hogue grip on it and it is very comfortable to hold and was fun to shoot.

Can anyone tell me a little bit more about this gun. I would guess it was made in 52 but am not sure.

Thanks all and I will try to post pictures when I can get ahold of a camera.