AK Forends For The S.308

The conversion requires a good bit of metalworking. A number of people have done it successfully, but I'd call it a high end job and a large step above a regular conversion.

Here's what I offer for the S-308 instead, it requires an AK-74 gas tube to replace the original one, and has a lower handguard with an integrated retainer. No gunsmithing required on the lower, the most the upper might require would be gas tube fitting.

post-6-1150679774_thumb.jpg

Now since the S-12 doesn't take a regular gas tube the upper handguard conversion is pretty dang difficult. Several members have done it with a great deal of metalworking involved. I have a design for a solution that I've discussed in the S-12 forum, but it's a few seats behind current projects, specifically for prepaid customers here.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Is there anywhere to get info on what to buy/how to swap the "gas tube", as i have already done the conversion on my 308, but would like the look of the AK style front handguard instead og the synthetic one, that, and what do you charge for the wood kit you have pictured above?

Thanks,

Jason

The conversion requires a good bit of metalworking. A number of people have done it successfully, but I'd call it a high end job and a large step above a regular conversion.

Here's what I offer for the S-308 instead, it requires an AK-74 gas tube to replace the original one, and has a lower handguard with an integrated retainer. No gunsmithing required on the lower, the most the upper might require would be gas tube fitting.

post-6-1150679774_thumb.jpg

Now since the S-12 doesn't take a regular gas tube the upper handguard conversion is pretty dang difficult. Several members have done it with a great deal of metalworking involved. I have a design for a solution that I've discussed in the S-12 forum, but it's a few seats behind current projects, specifically for prepaid customers here.

Let's see some more pics of that S308 forend and the retainer from the front:)

That set was shipped a while back. Here's a pic of the same retainer on a different handguard, one that's designed to be a one piece but otherwise closest to AKM style.

post-6-1155344947_thumb.jpg

The retainer is a plate fastened to the handguard that doesn't allow the handguard any vertical or sideways motion when in its final position. Forward motion is held by a screw in the rear tab of the handguard just like the factory one, though in this case using a stronger piece of hardware.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Front handguard shown above in a one-piece style: $70

Lower handguard only: $60 (matching upper add $25)

AKM style buttstock like shown: $50

Dragunov style buttstock like shown: $100

Shipping on any combination of grips and handguards is currently $5

Shipping on any order including one or more buttstock is $10 (yes it really does cost me that much, I wouldn't charge that much otherwise.)