When I very first got my SAIGA it would shoot any 2 3/4 shell you put into it, even the lightest of skeet or trap loads. I've noticed, however, that as time goes on it's getting more and more picky about the loads it likes, seeming to only want medium or high brass stuff. My first initial thought was there must be some sort of build of of lead/leading, wadding, plastic, or in shoirt, some sort of crud in thegas systemn somewhere so that it is inhibiting the gas system. I dis-assembled the bolt, and using a pick, toothbrush and elad remover, cleaned the bolt pieces, barrel, gas port and gas chamber, paying special attention to fully clean the gas hole in both the barrel and gas chamber. it did not seem to make any differance. is there another area crud could be hiding, or is this in some way normal? somethign else I'm missing? Thoughts? TIA~

Did you put a buffer in this one?

Rumor has it that sometimes a buffer wont allow proper cycling... :huh:

My only thoughts are lubrication.

If you have cleaned the holes between the barrel and the gas tube, the gas piston ( the removable cylinder behind the gas adjustment plug), the bolt and bolt carrier and related parts... And I assume you have cleaned the hole that the recoil spring rides in too, yes??

Then it would stand to reason that if all is clean, obviously there is another culprit disallowing you to get efficient cycling. Again... Lubrication?

Try to use some really slick oils along the bolt carrier rails, and on the bolt carrier, inside the bolt carrier where the recoil spring is.

One other thing to check... BINDING... Nothing seems to be binding anywhere does it? If you cycle the EMPTY shotgun by hand does there seem to be a spot where it grinds, or feels gritty, or binds mildly??!?!?

If nothing is binding up, and all is clean... and you have it lubed up like a pole dancer... I have no idea why it wouldnt cycle like it had when you first got it.

Had you shot hi-base stuff on the wrong setting and banged up the rear trunnion where the recoil spring mounts to the point the recoil spring is not positioned properly? ( long shot... but figured I would ask... again.. a binding potential? )

Other than that... No clue... Maybe I am missing something obvious one of the other guys will chime in on... but I dunno why it would do that... it acts REVERSE of the norm... usually they get BETTER and looser and shoot it *all* with age... not the way yours is acting...

Good luck!

:smoke:

I can'y find any spots that bind or grind on teh way back... on teh way FORWARD there ios a tendancy for it to not fully turn the bot head and lock all the way forward if I ride it real slowly forward, but it locks all the way forward it let fly forward.

I actually have everything fully coated in Break free CLP EXCEPT in the gas system, which I run totally dry.

I've always shot the gun on the "1" setting, and no buffer has been insalled.

The hole that goes through the gas chamber ino the barrell looks to be three smaller holes in a larger hole, I'm assuming this is normal. THere is also another hole, it looks like a vent hole of some sort, on the left/non charging handle side of the gas chamber, below the handguard line area [though on the side, not bottom]. This is normal as well?

Also, as I'm still trying to figure this out, I'm finding I cannot push a needle through the gas holes into the barrel. The holes LOOK clean but I cannot push teh needle through teh hole far enough to have them poke through into the barrel... should I be able to?

Edited by Redbear

Pay extra attention to the 3 locking lugs-crap can build up there so hard that it needes to be picked out with a dental pick. That is one area where you need to get "even the corners clean." Try the bolt without the carrier- it should lock and unlock by hand.