really hard finish

So, I have been in search of a finish that is as close to the original finish as possible, while still retaining the hardness of the original paint. I tried the Duplicolor engine enamel with ceramic. It looked really nice, but even after putting the thing in the oven, stil not hard enough. I could scratch it off with my fingernail. So I was talking to a guy down at my local gunshop and he recommended this stuff called Stove Bright. I went down to my local forrest paint(turns out the stuff is made here locally) and picked up a can in satin black. All I can say is wow. laid about three coats on it with the gun warmed up and then baked it in the oven at 325 for a few hours. I did the old saftey lever test on it when it came out of the oven. I had to move the saftey back and forth about 250 times before it started to mark the paint(vs. like twice with duplicolor and the paint was gone).

Overall, I would recommend this stuff to anyone. Dries about as hard as duracoat, but at 7.99 for a big can.

for those of you on a budget doing a conversion, this is good stuff. maybe I will post pics of the finish later this afternoon when I get home.

good looking paint , now for the $2 question will it survive cleaning solvents? some of your beter solvents will take alot of paints right off no matter how tuff they are. found that out the hard way,,trust me it sucks.

i am talking about hoppes , and stuff like kroil,,and what i use most brake parts cleaner spray and engine starting fluid - eather. let that thing sit for a few weeks then see if it passes the cleaning test, i know your generally not going to clean the outside as hard and the inside, but liquids and sprays tend to go places you dont always intend them to go. tell us what you find out.

Edited by lsgs
good looking paint , now for the $2 question will it survive cleaning solvents? some of your beter solvents will take alot of paints right off no matter how tuff they are. found that out the hard way,,trust me it sucks.

i am talking about hoppes , and stuff like kroil,,and what i use most brake parts cleaner spray and engine starting fluid - eather. let that thing sit for a few weeks then see if it passes the cleaning test, i know your generally not going to clean the outside as hard and the inside, but liquids and sprays tend to go places you dont always intend them to go. tell us what you find out.

I too would love to know if it will survive brake cleaner. The only ones I know do well against brake cleaner is Gunkote and Moly-Tephlon bake on.

Someone on another forum mentioned Wheeler engeineering ceramic paint, but I am not sure it will hold up to brake parts cleaner.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=455475

Wheeler Engineering Cerama-Coat 4 oz Aerosol Black - Bake on

Easy to use aerosol coating can be applied to practically all metal surfaces. Fine ceramic particles provide strength, durability, and lubricity. The result is a matte black finish that stands up to moisture, solvents, and wear while protecting against rust and oxidation. 4 oz. can contains enough Cerama-Coat to finish two long guns or several handguns. Not for use on wood, plastics, or scopes. $10.99 Sale!

so far the easiest painti have found that holds up to all sovents is brownells alumahydeII,, i been painting all saigas withit ,,got to let it set for about 2weks to a month to harden fully but comes out bullet proof,, i use brake parts cleaner and kroil on a regular basis on this,, its been working so far.

I too would love to know if it will survive brake cleaner. The only ones I know do well against brake cleaner is Gunkote and Moly-Tephlon bake on.

Someone on another forum mentioned Wheeler engeineering ceramic paint, but I am not sure it will hold up to brake parts cleaner.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=455475

Wheeler Engineering Cerama-Coat 4 oz Aerosol Black - Bake on

Easy to use aerosol coating can be applied to practically all metal surfaces. Fine ceramic particles provide strength, durability, and lubricity. The result is a matte black finish that stands up to moisture, solvents, and wear while protecting against rust and oxidation. 4 oz. can contains enough Cerama-Coat to finish two long guns or several handguns. Not for use on wood, plastics, or scopes. $10.99 Sale!

Cerama-Coat is an excellent finish. It works better if you bead-blast first, but I have used it over paint with good results.

The pre-bake finish gives no indication of the nice matte black finish you get after you bake it.

It seems to be a really hard finish.