How to remove sight rib or dovetailed sights

I'm getting my Saiga 12 ready for the Halo rail that should be coming soon, I have removed the stock sight rib, but the rear dovetail still has the large U-shaped piece of metal that held the rear of the sight rib. I've tried pounding the dovetail both ways but it isn't budging. Is there a specific way to drive the dovetail sights out (say left to right side)? Any suggestions before I am forced to breack out the might dremel tool?

I'm getting my Saiga 12 ready for the Halo rail that should be coming soon, I have removed the stock sight rib, but the rear dovetail still has the large U-shaped piece of metal that held the rear of the sight rib. I've tried pounding the dovetail both ways but it isn't budging. Is there a specific way to drive the dovetail sights out (say left to right side)? Any suggestions before I am forced to breack out the might dremel tool?

Use a punch kit. It will knock loose. Once it moves it comes off easy, but they seam to be painted on.

I beat on the rear sight with a drift for an hour. Then I applied heat to it and beat on it some more. The only thing that worked for me was to saw down the middle of the sight longways until it could deform, and knock it out.

good luck!

Edited by piggsy
if anyone ends up with a salvageable rib setup please LMK.

If you want mine, I will do my best not to mess it up. But, if you are retrofitting it on a non-vent rib Saiga 12, you will be missing the threaded part that is molded into the front of the gas tube that it mounts to. The threaded part allows you to adjust elevation with a threaded wheel. I have the vent rib in perfect condition with the 2 springs and the mounting pin. The rear dovetail mount that the mounting pin connects to is going to be the hard part to salvage, but I'll be extra careful if you are interested.

if anyone ends up with a salvageable rib setup please LMK.

If you want mine, I will do my best not to mess it up. But, if you are retrofitting it on a non-vent rib Saiga 12, you will be missing the threaded part that is molded into the front of the gas tube that it mounts to. The threaded part allows you to adjust elevation with a threaded wheel. I have the vent rib in perfect condition with the 2 springs and the mounting pin. The rear dovetail mount that the mounting pin connects to is going to be the hard part to salvage, but I'll be extra careful if you are interested.

a retrofit was the idea, but it sounds like it may be more trouble then it's worth.