News from Mother Russia

My wife is in Russia, and she picked up three more 8-round mags -- all that could be found in Tver'.

The price doubled: last time I was there, we paid $45 each.

Her uncle in Moscow was looking for more, and every store he went to asked him "old style, or new style?" They were all out of stock on the "old-style" mags. (Will Ishmash stop making them? Hope not)!

Everybody say a prayer that the magazines make it through Russian customs tomorrow!

If they do, I'll have a total of six 8-rounders, and two 5-rounders.

All I need now is a black trenchcoat and matching backpack... :killer:

JUST KIDDING!

Man, your wife is visiting Russia and you have her scronging for mags! Then she has to get them through customs, twice! Time to upgrade her ring. :P

G45

You're so right, G45...

Especially since it was her idea to buy the mags!

If you get a chance, guys, marry a Russian woman. They're the best.

:wub:

We hang out with several Russian-American couples. The women drink Bailey's at the kitchen table; their much-older husbands sit around in the living room, trying not to get caught ogling each others' wives. (Some of them are soooooo hot).

P.S. She got through Russian customs an hour ago; she's at the gate waiting to board.

So please educate me: What's the difference between the "old" style mags and the "new" style mags?

You are correct about the women over there. I spent some time over in Moscow, amazing place!

newstyle has a feed chute that attaches to the gun and lacks the front lip.

You're so right, G45...

Especially since it was her idea to buy the mags!

:wub:

We hang out with several Russian-American couples. The women drink Bailey's at the kitchen table; their much-older husbands sit around in the living room, trying not to get caught ogling each others' wives. (Some of them are soooooo hot).

P.S. She got through Russian customs an hour ago; she's at the gate waiting to board.

My wife is an American born Philippino. She is awesome. I treat her like gold and she appreciates it and returns it with intrest! She was the one who said, "just buy the Saiga from Tromix with all the work done. If you do not you will just keep sending it out to be worked on".

Congrats on happy marriage!

G45

newstyle has a feed chute that attaches to the gun and lacks the front lip.

So are the new style mags usable in the EAA guns? If so, can both mags be used in the same gun with no changes between mag?

the "new style" is more of an AR type mag, plug up into the gun so to speak. Which is different from the traditional ak mag "rock and lock" deal.

So unless you have one of those new spiffy Veprs or 12C-01..old mags are your option

I spent a month or so traveling through eastern Europe back in '93. We ended up driving through Brest up to St. Petersburg and spent some time there. After that we rode the train down to Moscow and stayed there a while before heading on to the trans-Siberian.

Russian women - Yummy!

My wife is Russian and she is the best:

BUT... I lived and met and married in Russia.

Most of the "so called" internet marriages that we have encountered here in the states (and there has been quite a few) have ended not so well. Accually, my wife and I have seperated ourselves from most of the Russian community in our area because these Russians are so different from the ones in the mother land.

They seem to be a somewhat lower form of Russian which couldn't make it in there own country so they figured the grass was greener on the other side. I'm not saying this is true for all, and it sounds like you guy's found some real keepers, but it seems to be a majority. Most of our friends in Russia keep telling us to move back because it's so much better and easier there, and the economy is just growing like crazy. We still own 2 apartments there which we currently rent, and in the last 6 years these have increased in value 4 times. Business is booming in Russia. And with this, the quality of women and men which want to move to the States from Russia is crashing.

So you must consider yourself luckier than lucky!

Best wishes for all!

Edited by jman
My wife is in Russia, and she picked up three more 8-round mags -- all that could be found in Tver'.

The price doubled: last time I was there, we paid $45 each.

Her uncle in Moscow was looking for more, and every store he went to asked him "old style, or new style?" They were all out of stock on the "old-style" mags. (Will Ishmash stop making them? Hope not)!

Everybody say a prayer that the magazines make it through Russian customs tomorrow!

If they do, I'll have a total of six 8-rounders, and two 5-rounders.

All I need now is a black trenchcoat and matching backpack... :killer:

JUST KIDDING!

Just curious, is any of your items currently up for bid on Ebay?

Update:

She got through customs & security OK on both ends.

In Russia, people on direct flights to the USA get all their luggage unpacked and searched by security officials. We were wondering if they would let her take the magazines... turns out they never looked at them.

My wife had several vodka bottles wrapped in clothing near the top, and the magazines wrapped in clothing near the bottom; the security officer got tired of unwrapping vodka bottles before she got down down that far.

In the USA, they just glanced at her American passport and waved her through.

Sorry, but we're not selling any of the mags for now. Other than trips to the range, they sit in the gun cabinet in case the SHTF.

(I'm one of those guys who straps on a Glock 20 and two spare mags full of 10mm Golden Saber when I go to the mailbox). :killer:

jman: I met & married my wife in Russia, too, when I was there on vacation. (Getting married there makes the immigration ten times easier than the "fiancee visa" process).

Some people who look for Russian brides can't get laid here in the USA, so they figure they'll trade on their American passport. Those guys tend to meet women who will do anything to get out of Russia. These marriages are made in Hell... those folks are meant for each other.

Other guys, like me and most of our friends, are just tired of typical American women.

We always say that a Russian woman makes a great second wife, because you won't really appreciate how lucky you are until you've married and divorced an American woman first.

A close friend, who also has a Saiga-12, is married to a (smokin' hot) Ukrainian woman. She just spent the summer back home, caring for a sick relative.

On her last trip in 2004, she was able to bring home several 8-round mags. This time, the gun shops in her town have been unable to get them all summer. Apparently, Ishmash just hasn't been shipping them to Ukraine at all. :cryss:

These mags may have become Unobtanium. If you have 'em, keep 'em: you may not be able to replace them, ever.

.... Accually, my wife and I have seperated ourselves from most of the Russian community in our area because these Russians are so different from the ones in the mother land.

They seem to be a somewhat lower form of Russian which couldn't make it in there own country so they figured the grass was greener on the other side. I'm not saying this is true for all, and it sounds like you guy's found some real keepers, but it seems to be a majority.

Finally!!! I found someone who feels the same way!!!

"They seem to be a somewhat lower form of Russian..." - Man you nailed that one!!! I'm all with you there!!! I'd say 95% of them in US are that exact form!!!

Too bad that most of the Americans can only form their opinion of Russia and Russians based on these idiots as they are the only people they get to really meet here......

Too bad that most of the Americans can only form their opinion of Russia and Russians based on these idiots as they are the only people they get to really meet here......
We agree too. We avoid the "Russian community," as represented in our area by Brighton Beach and northeast Philly. They seem to feed on each other... some of them never even bother to learn English.

Our group ran into each other by sheer chance. For example, we met our best friends when we overheard the wife speaking Russian at Macy's.