Thank you sir, I bought another!

Yesterday, I went to another gun show (in Dalton Ga) & added the Saiga 16" .223 to my "arsenal". I bought the rifle from the same guy I bought my .308 from. He joked to the person that was helping him, "This feller is starting a collection". It seems that the Saiga's are popular here in NW Ga, as they're a bit more expensive than some have mentioned. I paid $275 for it.

I tried it out after I got back to my dad's. My first shot was in the bulleye. The other 9 were the lower right quadrant of the target. Just to see if I am indeed a lousy shot, I tried the .308 on the same target. My first 2 shots cut bullseye next to the first .223! (I couldn't do that again if my life depended on it.) The other 2 shots were just below the bullseye to the right. Sorry, I didn't take my digicam for the pictures.

More to follow on a minor problem later.

Edited by Hylndr
Yesterday, I went to another gun show (in Dalton Ga) & added the Saiga 16" .223 to my "arsenal". I bought the rifle from the same guy I bought my .308 from. He joked to the person that was helping him, "This feller is starting a collection". It seems that the Saiga's are popular here in NW Ga, as they're a bit more expensive than some have mentioned. I paid $275 for it.

I tried it out after I got back to my dad's. My first shot was in the bulleye. The other 9 were the lower right quadrant of the target. Just to see if I am indeed a lousy shot, I tried the .308 on the same target. My first 2 shots cut bullseye next to the first .223! (I couldn't do that again if my life depended on it.) The other 2 shots were just below the bullseye to the right. Sorry, I didn't take my digicam for the pictures.

The minor problem that I mentioned in my previous post is that the shells have a very noticable scratch & dent in them about midway down. I'm not sure what's causing this, & I was wanting to know if anyone else is / was having this problem. I'm open to suggestions on how to correct this.

While at the gun show yesterday, I was looking for some Galil Orlite mags that have been mentioned. I found some made of steel, but nothing, nada, zilch, zip in the way of Orlites, BUT I did find a TAPCO dealer & bought a new T6 stock, Galil type handguard, & the SAW pistol grip. All for $100. I didn't have another $35.00 for the G-2 trigger.

Speaking of the trigger, the one on the .223 looks different from the .308.

Sorry to be long-winded on this.

Edited by Hylndr

The minor problem that I mentioned in my previous post is that the shells have a very noticable scratch & dent in them about midway down. I'm not sure what's causing this, & I was wanting to know if anyone else is / was having this problem. I'm open to suggestions on how to correct this.

While at the gun show yesterday, I was looking for some Galil Orlite mags that have been mentioned. I found some made of steel, but nothing, nada, zilch, zip in the way of Orlites, BUT I did find a TAPCO dealer & bought a new T6 stock, Galil type handguard, & the SAW pistol grip. All for $100. I didn't have another $35.00 for the G-2 trigger.

the .223 and 7.62x39 have the same trigger (shotguns too), the 308 is the oddball.

the dent/crease you are finding inthe cases is pretty much standard on the saiga .223 from what i hear....all my wolf steel have em after going through that gun......not great for reloading...so plan to shoot steel case non-reloadables....aka wolf, brown bear etc.

was at a gun show yesterday myself....308 was going for $370, 223 was about $260 and 7.62 was $295....didnt see a single shotgun.....

The dent in the shell occurs because when it is ejected it strikes the receiver cover that overhangs the ejection port. An experienced gunsmith told me you can place a Teflon piece over this area to lessen the likelihood of the ejected shell denting.

the .223 and 7.62x39 have the same trigger (shotguns too), the 308 is the oddball.

the dent/crease you are finding inthe cases is pretty much standard on the saiga .223 from what i hear....all my wolf steel have em after going through that gun......not great for reloading...so plan to shoot steel case non-reloadables....aka wolf, brown bear etc.

was at a gun show yesterday myself....308 was going for $370, 223 was about $260 and 7.62 was $295....didnt see a single shotgun.....

The .308's were going for $350, both the 7.62 & .223 were going for $275, & the Saiga 12 was $399.

I'll just start shooting steel cased or non reloadable brass .223's. I wanted to get some S&B .223, but by the time I got finished buying everything, I literally had a dollar & some change left.

I need to save up my money now so I can take a run over the CMP in Anniston Ala for an M-1 Garand.

CDNN has the Galil Orlites if you plan to convert your rifle to pistol grip configuration. You probably should have bought the G2 FCG instead of the other stuff. Tapco stocksets have bad reviews from most people who buy them. I buy the K-var buttstocks.Tough as nails.........

Oh well, live & learn. Hopefully these will not give any trouble.

CDNN has the Galil Orlites if you plan to convert your rifle to pistol grip configuration. You probably should have bought the G2 FCG instead of the other stuff. Tapco stock sets have bad reviews from most people who buy them. I buy the K-var buttstocks.Tough as nails.........

Oh well, live & learn. Hopefully these will not give any trouble.

I haven't heard one bad review here of Tapco's T6 stock. I have heard bad review of their folders, but then someone posted they may be better lately. I myself own a Tapco T6 stock and I love mine. It feels solid to me. In my experience their customer service has been outstanding as well.

This will be my first experience with the Tapco stock. I'm not too sure how to install the stock or the hand guard, but the instructions show it's not that difficult. The pistol grip may have to wait for a while until I'm a bit more confident on how that goes on, as well as the G-2, since you have to modify the trigger guard.

"Oh Lord it's hard to be handy, when you're a bumbler in most every way." (That's my way of saying that I'm a tenderfoot when it comes to stuff like this. Maybe the DVDs I ordered from AGI will help.)

Edited by Hylndr
I was at the show yesterday too. I bought the saiga 12. Stanley's Pro shop in Blue Ridge was selling 16"saigas for 239.00. I made a trip up there last weekend to buy a 223. I also bought TG's and stocks from the Tapco guy.

I went all over the show, but I don't seem to recall seeing Stanley's anywhere. The only Saiga's I saw were the guy from Macon (A-Z Guns) & one other that had a .223 for $295.

I was at the show yesterday too. I bought the saiga 12. Stanley's Pro shop in Blue Ridge was selling 16"saigas for 239.00. I made a trip up there last weekend to buy a 223. I also bought TG's and stocks from the Tapco guy.

I went all over the show, but I don't seem to recall seeing Stanley's anywhere. The only Saiga's I saw were the guy from Macon (A-Z Guns) & one other that had a .223 for $295.

I,m sorry, I meant I drove up to Blue Ridge to his shop and bought a 223. He advertises on Gunbroker.

I,m sorry, I meant I drove up to Blue Ridge to his shop and bought a 223. He advertises on Gunbroker.

My bad for misunderstanding.