Saiga photos

Nice rifles...Have you shot them yet ???

Soitenly!

I fired off a full 10 rounds from the .223 yesterday afternoon after I got back to my dad's house from the gun show. We only found 4 of the 10 shell cases. I've only fired 6 rounds in the .308 just mainly to try to sight it in.

The .223 puts a scratch / dent in the shell case about halfway down. I'm planning to get some steel cased or non-reloadable brass ammo later in the week. What I have on hand now is some Lake City military boxer primed ammo.

Edited by Hylndr
When do the pistol grips go on these rifles ???

I have no idea how to make the mods on the Saigas for the pistol grips. I know that sounds like a cop out, but it's the truth. Plus, I couldn't have installed the G2 trigger even if I had bought it. My Maadi would be a better candidate for the Tapco stuff as I wouldn't have to worry about modifying it because of the thumbhole stock.

I've been to both of those links. The one that deals with the bullet guide doesn't bother me as much as the conversion link. I suppose I'm afraid I'll really mess up my rifles. All this is new to me.

They make it look a lot harder than it is, the only hard thing is to cut the square hole for the pistol grip nut, and you may already have the square hole,

remove the dust cover and look at the trigger pivit pin, Look just ahead of the trigger slot about 1/8 of an inch you should see a square hole in the bottom of the recieve it will only be visible from inside and you'll only be able to see a corner or two. If it's there your half way done already. I'm sure your 308 will have one.

we can walk you through the process, if you want.

Edited by topmaul
They make it look a lot harder than it is, the only hard thing is to cut the square hole for the pistol grip nut, and you may already have the square hole,

remove the dust cover and look at the trigger pivit pin, Look just ahead of the trigger slot about 1/8 of an inch you should see a square hole in the bottom of the recieve it will only be visible from inside and you'll only be able to see a corner or two. If it's there your half way done already. I'm sure your 308 will have one.

we can walk you through the process, if you want.

Thanks. I guess it's just the fear of the unknown that's making me hesitate.

I ordered 3 DVD courses on the AK from AGI last week. Once I get a chance to watch how things are done, maybe I won't be so nervous about the installation.

I had never seen the inside of a rifle before I did my conversion.

Topmaul is right, the hardest part is the PG nut hole and you may already have one there.

It is so much easier than it looks.

I'll check the Saigas tonight for the square hole. BTW, do I need another trigger housing? If so, where can I get one??

So many questions, so little experience. :lol:

You can reuse your trigger guard if you remove it carefully. Even if you have to cut the hole it's not hard. Just have to measure, mark, drill four small holes, and connect them with a cutoff wheel on your dremel.

Check out my AKS-12 conversion tutorial. There is a template there showing exactly where to cut it.

You can reuse your trigger guard if you remove it carefully. Even if you have to cut the hole it's not hard. Just have to measure, mark, drill four small holes, and connect them with a cutoff wheel on your dremel.

Check out my AKS-12 conversion tutorial. There is a template there showing exactly where to cut it.

I wasn't sure if the original could be reused because of the compliance issue. I'm guessing the guard needs to be trimmed so the pistol grip will fit properly.

I checked both rifles for the square cut holes, & I'm in luck. Because of the oddball trigger on the .308, there is a channel cut through the hole as well as the bottom of the receiver to allow the trigger to move. The trigger plate covers it up. The one on the .223 shouldn't pose a problem because it's intact.

Will I need the bullet guide if I want to use a Galil Orlite mag? My trunnion is the flat cut type.

Edited by Hylndr