Practical range of S308

the stock trigger can be improved with a bit of stoning but many people dislike the long upwards pull.

The excellent red-star arms adjustable trigger is the cats meow but it will only "drop in" if you decide to pistol grip convert your rifle. A good scope is a must,I like the "saiga" scope mounts but they will not let you mount a scope with an objective lens much bigger than 40 mm.Many of the russian side mounts with a weaver rail need to be zeroed,as they will not allow you to obtain proper zero with the scopes adjustment knobs-not a big problem it has been tackled by many folks here.Some people seem to have trouble getting the posp type SVD scopes to stay put,dont know what the problem is there but some others have had good luck.

Bossman: Just read your response in regards to scope mounting and 40mm as a max size objective. I used a low mount Weaver rail, Millett adjustable rings and a Weaver 7-2x32 on my .223 Saiga with good results. I have just ordered another low Weaver mount for My Saiga .308 and am planning on mounting a Bushnell Elite 10x Mil Dot with 40mm objective. Any idea if the Millet low mount rings would allow for clearance on this? I am considering just getting a set of the medium height rings to be on the safe side but if it would work I would prefer the lower rings. Problem is that where I live everything has to be mail ordered as there aren't any stores around here with much of a selection and so returns are a pain. Thanks.

My eye sight is becoming an issue for good sight pictures with the longer sight plains on rifles. For my newly aquired S-308 I installed a halo sight (no magnification) which eliminates issues of having to see and align both sights and the target at once. I have only shot it to 100 yds but really like it for up to that distance, beyond that I'd want magnification. I will be trying it in N. WI for deer this coming week. I bought it from the Sportsmans Guide for less than $50.

Brin,

I`m just guessing here but if the 32 mm scope fit with plenty of clearance with the low rings the 40mm should be somewhere around 8mm wider-or 4mm on each side.(depending on the scope brand) at the objective end.I would think that if you had 5 or 6 mm between the top of the rear sight and the bottom of the scope bell the 40mm should fit......should.

HTH,

Bossman

Thanks for the insight Bossman. I took a .223 bullet which is 5.56 and it would almost fit between the scope and the rear sight which leads me to believe I have about 5mm of clearance. I'm going to try the low rings and if they don't work I have another rifle I can probably use them on. Also to Snake54: thanks for the load data. My Saiga is also the long barrel and when I get this all put together your recipe will be one of the first I try. Hopefully I'll have a range report in a week or two.