Wierd bolt carrier issue.

I just picked up one of the new 06 Saiga 12s. When ever I pull back and slide foward the bolt carrier it seems to want to catch on something.

I field stripped it and it seems that the carrier is rubbing against the bottom of the block that holds the barrel and gas tube right above the chamber.

Is this normal? If not I can always dremel out the excess metal. Just checking to see if anyone is having the same issue.

The Saiga depends on the recoil spring's energy to chamber a round so you should fully pull back the charging handle and then just let go and let it fly forward. If you try "baby" a round into the chamber the mechanism may seem to bind. Maybe that's what's going on.

If your shotty is new and not broken in yet, the bolt will catch on the hammer. As the bolt travels back and forth it pushes down on the hammer. The hammers on AK style weapons do not cock back out of the way of the bolt. If you slowly pull back on the bolt, it will catch the hammer and hold the bolt back, sort of a poormans bolt hold open. But I wouldn't rely on it to much, as the gun gets broken in more it will not hold as well, and just a light smack will send the bolt flying forward, and if anything is in the way (fingers) you will know it!!! So yes, this is normal for this to happen. If it really bothers you, you can polish the contact surfaces, but do not remove any material from the contact surfaces themselves. :smoke: