I was wondering what the ideal humidiy should be to prevent corrosion rust problems (they are oiled) for regular firearm/ammo storage. I'm making a room in my basement and moving it all down there. The weapons are in just in cheapy safes, ammo in ammo boxes. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Edited by doug01

I have a larger safe made from a hazmat locker. I use 2 "damp rid" canisters to keep it dry. These are available in the laundry section of the grocery store. The chemical is available in 1/2 gallon cartons. I empty the water from the canisters and re-charge about twice a year. Keeps everything dry and rustfree. Ammo I store in 30 and 50 cal. ammocans. Ammo is less prome to moisture damage, especially milsurp , but reasonable temperature and humidity should be maintained. If the area is not heated and air conditioned, use the damp rid for the ammo also.

Thanks Trit. So if it's below 65% that shouldn't hurt then eh? It been about 40-45% down there.

Doug

Think only problem with being too dry might be wood furniture drying out, but that's just a guess.

Its funny. When I saw the thread title I thought, " ZERO.....duh".

None of my firearms have wood!