New Member/Owner questions

Thanks to all you knowledgeable folks here I brought home a new in box 7.62X39 Saiga 16" barrel today. Had my choice of either a real nice Russian Tula Arsenal 1953 SKS, or the Saiga. Well, after much lurking, reading threads here, agonizing, I settled on the Saiga. I have a rather curious question that concerns me about it though, and I hope you folks can answer it.

In the Acceptance Certificate it states: "Extreme spread of impacts when firing four bullets at 100-m range (accuracy of fire) is 150mm."

That equates to 5.91 inches. I've read on this forum where these guns are capable of decent accuracy, and I know that an AK is not a bench gun, but that seems very poor to me. What do you folks think? What accuracy are you getting? What does your certificates say?

I would not venture to guess just how this test was done or what ammo was used, but I hope I can achieve better results than that. I have not fired it yet, and probably won't until the weather gets better so that I can bench it out before I start converting it. I don't want to put money in a gun that can't shoot at least 3" at 100 yards.

One other thing. Is there a way to get a last shot BHO on these guns? I've searched the forums, but only found the manual hold open, which this one has already.

Thanks a lot for your input ladies and gentlemen. There is certainly a wealth of knowledge here that is priceless in its own right. This is my first AK. In fact, I've never even shot an AK, and will be adding some goodies to it depending on the feedback I get from you all.

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!!!

you made the right choice

you are going to love your saiga. My first was an x39 and t this day is my absolute favorite rifle. Mine will pretty consistently hold 2" groups when i do my part. Mine did not come with accuracy report from the factory, but when you are able to get some trigger tyime in, i think you will be very pleased, and prolly suprised!

I definitely recomend putting 100 to 150 $$ in parts and converting to pistol grip with US made trigger group....much better than factory setup.

Check the FOR SALE section. member JERIC sells automatic LRBHO. I have not used one cause its no big deal to me, but users have good things to say about them...

Welcome, I have had a 7.62 for a few years now and it did not come with an accuracy report from the factory however, uncoverted(bad trigger) it will shoot 2 - 3 inch groups with the iron sights and 2 inch with a 4x PSOP scope.

I bought a .223 a couple of weeks ago and just finished the conversion yesterday with the exception of a bullit guide. The conversion is very easy to do and for me really improves the ergonomics of the rifle. I plan on converting my 7.62 in the next couple of months.

LRBHO, if you convert your rifle you should be able to use the Yugo mags which have the integral LRBHO. I know some people have gotten them in the mixed lot of 30 rounds mags a the Sportsmans Guide.

I've settled on the fact that the 7.62 x 39 saiga does it's best work to about 150 meters. It's meant to be rode hard and put away wet and still work like a champ the next day. If you want a bench-rest sub 1" moa shooting 7.62 you may end up spending a lot of money and time with modifications and upgrades. I have taken mine for what it is and really enjoy the hell out of it.

Thanks for info guys. I went to the link that pogy posted, and it seems others were getting extreme spreads too, but its not uncommon to expect 2-3" groups, though I haven't seen any posts on how they actually do perform. The certificate does not state how the test was done. Rapid fire, clamped down in a vise of sorts, ammo used etc.

I dunno, I'm going to write the factory, and go from there if they will answer back. I'll let you know what I find out.

Edited by MacMan

I talked to a representative of the Importer of the Russian Saigas ( Russian American Armory Company) on the extreme impact of 150mm (5.91 inches) documented in the Acceptance Certificate that came with my new rifle.

I called the toll free number on their web sight and left a message. They got back to me within 20 minutes. They were very professional and cooperative.

The gentleman I talked to, Clyde, agreed with me that a four shot spread of almost 6 inches is not good, even for a well worn AK. He could not verify just how the testing is done at the factory, but said that his liaison tells him that when these rifles are accuracy tested that they are held off hand by a shooter using military ammo. He also stated that he is researching just how the testing is done so that he can be more specific than just hearsay.

He recommended that I go out and test it myself, and to get back to him with the results. He said that if I'm not happy, they will make me happy with whatever it takes.

So, when the wind dies down here, and the chill leaves the air just a bit I'll be benching it out at 50 yards bone stock with my aging eyes, and those crappy open sights. I'll let you know how I make out.

I must take my hat off for the Russian American Armory Company's customer service. You don't find that kind of customer service much these days, and I appreciate that in a big way. That says a lot about a company, and their products.

Edited by MacMan

Got out to the range today, and I'm very pleased with the result's in Accuracy of my new Saiga. The extreme spread of impact's in the Acceptance Certificate of 150mm (5.91 inches) must indeed be for a function test, and not for accuracy as I was able to do far better than that.

I was able to achieve a maximum 4 shot spread of just under 2 inches at 50 yards with less than stellar conditions, cold fingers, wolf ammo, those crappy sights, and my aging eyes to boot. I even got lucky and put a couple in the same hole. I'll think I'll keep it. :)

I have a Saiga 7.62 with 16" bbl, as it came from factory. Added a Kobra red dot. Got it zeroed and was getting fair accuracy at 50 yds and on the pie plate at 100. Not really very pleased but also had a lousy cheek weld to the butt stock. Purchased a Redhawk cheek pad for 18 bucks. Laced it on, the cheek weld was perfect. Shot out a 2" square at 50 yards and got 25 out of 30 in a 3X3" square at 100 yd. If you are using a scope of any type a cheek pad is a great way inexpensively accurize your rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

:killer: I had mine out on thursday and noticed this, I could shoot very tight 1" 3 shot groups at 50m from bench rest in the x ring. when I moved out to 100m the groups were still 1" but they were in the 4 ring which suggest the bullet travels up very sharply from 50m to 100m, I could hold 4" low at 100m and group 1" 3 shots in the X-ring. This was shot using a Russian pos 6x42 scope, So I just left it zeroed at 50m, If you zere at 100m you'll be 4" low at 50m... I thought this was very strange.....

Got out to the range today, and I'm very pleased with the result's in Accuracy of my new Saiga. The extreme spread of impact's in the Acceptance Certificate of 150mm (5.91 inches) must indeed be for a function test, and not for accuracy as I was able to do far better than that.

I was able to achieve a maximum 4 shot spread of just under 2 inches at 50 yards with less than stellar conditions, cold fingers, wolf ammo, those crappy sights, and my aging eyes to boot. I even got lucky and put a couple in the same hole. I'll think I'll keep it. :)