What's the purpose of the gas setting

I've wondered what the "1" and "2" on the gas tube cap was about and I was just reading the Max Load thread setting where Cobra 76 Two says to make sure the gas setting is on "1". So what is the purpose of the gas setting and in what situations should it be changed?

:unsure:

From the FAQ section:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=262

-Scott

I've wondered what the "1" and "2" on the gas tube cap was about and I was just reading the Max Load thread setting where Cobra 76 Two says to make sure the gas setting is on "1". So what is the purpose of the gas setting and in what situations should it be changed?

:unsure:

From the FAQ section:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=262

-Scott

Oh, I see.

That explains why I got kicked around while shooting 3 inch sabot rounds. The gun came set on "2" when I got it and I didn't change the setting since I didn't know what the "1" and "2" was about. Now I know. Thank you.

Oh, I see.

That explains why I got kicked around while shooting 3 inch sabot rounds. The gun came set on "2" when I got it and I didn't change the setting since I didn't know what the "1" and "2" was about. Now I know. Thank you.

The best lessons are the hard lessons, so I doubt you'll soon forget to check your gas ports before going Magnum again. I've not forgotten since the first time I did the same.

Now here's a dumb question on my part

I took off the end plug to replace the piston with a US-made Tromix one not too long ago. I haven't shot it since so I want to be certain of the settings before I fire off some shells.

How many turns does it take to get the plug back to factory location? If I screw it all the way back on tight, I max the threads between "1" and "2". I then have to back off counterclockwise and "2" will be the first setting it engages in. If I change it to "1", I have to get to it by turning counterclockwise. I can't turn it clockwise or the thread will bottom out before it reaches "1"

Am I supposed to be able to get to "1" by turning clockwise from "2", or its supposed to go counterclockwise to engage "1"? If I am supposed to turn clockwise from "2" to get to "1", then I am half a turn too far. Otherwise, I should be in the correct position. Help would be appreciated. I don't think I saw clarification on which direction to turn to engage either setting.

Edited by Cesiumsponge