Brass damaged in a Saiga 223?

I'm hearing in a reloading forum (glocktalk.com - but the reloading forum isn't just about reloading for Glocks) that Saiga .223s tend to damage the shoulder area of the brass. Two questions:

1 - Can anyone confirm that an unconverted Saiga dents the brass?

2 - Since denting the shoulder sounds like a feeding issue, does adding a bullet guide (which I'm going to do anyway as part of my conversion) make this problem go away?

Thanks!

Craig

Indy had a pic - I cannot remember if it was x39 or .223 - that once fired, the shell had a double shoulder. Really weird. Mine didn't do that. I know using brass on a 223, the ejected cartridge hits either the dust cover or the carrier handle and gets a dent in the side...

Indy had a pic - I cannot remember if it was x39 or .223 - that once fired, the shell had a double shoulder. Really weird. Mine didn't do that. I know using brass on a 223, the ejected cartridge hits either the dust cover or the carrier handle and gets a dent in the side...

Thanks, dinzag. I presume you are using one of your bullet guides?

I'm hearing in a reloading forum (glocktalk.com - but the reloading forum isn't just about reloading for Glocks) that Saiga .223s tend to damage the shoulder area of the brass. Two questions:

1 - Can anyone confirm that an unconverted Saiga dents the brass?

2 - Since denting the shoulder sounds like a feeding issue, does adding a bullet guide (which I'm going to do anyway as part of my conversion) make this problem go away?

Thanks!

Craig

The x39 cartridge deforms with a dual neck diameter upon firing. It is a built in Russian gun control measure to determine if a shell has come from a civilian versus military AK. Both .223 and x39 can dent the cartridge on ejection as it hits the receiver cover. I've been told to either a) trim the cover slightly B) flare out the cover where the shell hits c) put a teflon lip on the cover where the shell is striking it.

What about this dimple around the primer, are these cases still reloadable???

Can I grind the shoulder out from the"bolt" ?

I've been saving brass from my mini and I have picked up a LOT of other people's .223 brass.

I have at least 1000 cases in this bucket.

Hi BlackDog!

I've found the folks over at glocktalk.com to be great resources for reloading questions. (That site has many fora; the reloading one is down in the section called "The Armory." Here is a pointer straight to the reloading forum: http://glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=26) The people there reload everything from little 9mm up to 50BMG and include everyone from relative newbies to reloading (like me) to people who have reloaded for decades. Post your question over there and I'm sure you'll quickly get the right answer.

One warning, though: Their level of wackyness seems to match their level of collective expertise! But, like a weird fungus, they kinda grow on you after a while. Its a good group.

Craig

Edited by craig110