Hello, I'm new to posting on these forums, but have found great info in reading them so far. In fact I've almost completed my modification of my rifle works great and looks better too. I just got to put the finish on a few parts that I nicked up. So thanks for all the info.

Now. I assume that the assult weapon ban of 94 will lift. So what does that mean for me? I guess it will allow some more guns on the market, but does it change the rules for a folding stock, threaded barrel or bayonet? I would really like to put a folding stock on my saiga like the one that tapco sells. does anyone have experience with this stock? I would only do it if I can leagally have one that actually folds after the ban sunsets or will this not be allowed anyway? I'm just trying to get ideas for more projects.

Also does anyone sell a lower handguard retainer that you can just clamp on and remove if you don't like it or am I just stuck with the options of welding one on or taking the gas block and sight post off?

I ordered a lower handguard from an AMD-65 and a steel upper handguard as well, but I may want to put the original handguard on for hunting. Any ideas?

Thanks

If you've completed your conversion to P-grip and hi-cap (and if so congratulations, I've done the same with great results), see if you don't like the aesthetics of the original handguard. I assembled mine with a K-var synthetic buttstock, Tapco SAW grip, and Polish synthetic mag, and the combination is perfect. Plastics from three different countries (Russia, US, Poland) and four different companies all matched perfectly.

If you must have an original style lower handguard, I believe you would need to remove the gas block (though I've never done such a thing or even owned a standard AKM) and install a lower handguard retainer.

OR you could have fun and make your own more easily removable retainer. I am in the process of starting up a custom accessory business, and would be interested to see if I can help. I have Saigas in all three calibers that I could use as models to test such a thing on. Please reply if you're interested. I'd be happy to serve just one customer, but if I can get a line going that would be even better and probably result in better prices.

And yes adding a folding stock would be 100% legal after the ban expires, just make sure that your parts count is in US compliance. As are bayonet lugs and threaded muzzles. Bayonet lugs are on my list of planned accessories for the Saiga. Just keep in mind that if you install a foreign flash hider or brake that it contributes to your foreign parts count, of which you may have no more than 10 fron "the list".

Edited by BattleRifleG3

I dont expect the ban to sunset, myself. also, I believe it could be added to to make it worse....otherwise, yes, you can do what ever you want to any gun, just as long as it is 24" overall length folded.

Hunter78:

Here is the text of a post by Villimus that explains how to put a standard AK handguard on your Saiga:

I figured out how to mount a GI forend on a Saiga without having to press off the FSB and gas block. Take a surplus GI handguard retainer and punch out the locking piece. Now run a 12-28 tap into the hole, it should already be the correct size for tapping. Next using a hacksaw, slice it from center top to the cleaning rod hole. Go just a little bit past the hole so that there is only the bottom lip holding he two halves together. Now drill the right side out to a size that will allow the 12-28 screw to enter freely. That piece is done. Next I made a spacer to allow a socket head screw to seat going right top left. It is a 1/8 inch thick pc about 3/8 by 1/4 inch with a hole to allow the screw to pass through. This spacer sits in the slot where the locking piece's arm used to fit when locked in place.

To fit this to your Saiga, carefully bend the cut iron apart just enough to slide over the barrel. At the appropriate point upon the barrel cut a round groove atop the barrel just like on a regular AK barrel. Now install your new forend, slide the iron into place and put in the blued 12-28 socket head screw and tighten.

Mine worked out well and looks good but double check every thing yourself before starting to do any cutting on your Saiga. The screw means it is not stricktly authentic but if that was really important I would have gotten a preban Madi or chicom AK.

Thanks for all the info. I have ordered a AMD-65 barrel from tapco. I like the look of the amd lower handguard. I have to admit that the forarm on my saiga now is nice functioning, but I don't really like the looks of it at least not as much as other AKs I've seen. I had wondered if some type of tapping the retainer would make it easier to take on and off since I am afraid of getting a retainer and lower handguard on and discovering I liked the original better. I wish I had anouther Ak to compare to (guess I'll have to buy one)! Having the barrel assembly from tapco should help and at $25 it's alot of parts to play with for the money.

To BattleRifleG3 it sounds like you did the same conversion I did. Did you notice any wiggle in the saw grip towards the rear as I did? I corrected it by putting a 1/4 inch bolt 7/16 head through the hole in the rear of the handguard and up through the old trigger hole It's now rock solid. I never thought of that damn list when thinking about a muzzle break. I don't know if I'd do it anyway with my 20 inch barrel. It's on the long side as it is anyway.

As for the assult weapons ban. I figure it will expire since congress is coming up on a recess and neither party seams to want to make an issue of it There was a good article about it in shotgun news July 6 (I think). Lets pray for it and a republican victory in all elections coming up! I know Bush said he would sign it, but it sounds like just lip service and not a priority. I'm sure Kerry would sign it given enough votes in congress.

Hopefully, when I get my parts and put them on I can post a pic and see what you all think.

My AMD parts came from tapco I put them on with an upper handguard (metal) from gunbroker.com I'm not sure I like the looks with the long barrel. putting air holes in the original grip would look nice I think, and help with cooling. Does anyone have picks of these? Well here is my converted Saiga and with the other parts just sitting on I never modified a retainer yet. What do you think? I'm leaning toward the original handguard because of the feel of the gun is better, it makes the gun look shorter, and 30 round mags are harder to remove do to the front amd handguard (they hit the pistol grip when you take them out).

post-5-1090294294.jpg

I personally think that the ban WILL sunset, this one at least! That chick, I forget her name, has given up, and congress (or who ever) is not concerned for right now. BUT, I think they will write up a new one - so there might be a window of freedom, for a little while.

It's just the trend of what seems to be going on. Restriction of rights and the maiming of people choices, crippling of the public, inability to defend against tyrany!!

the british are coming, the british are coming! (sorry assassin! just a joke)