bad day at the range

so the other day i take a trip out to the range , 35 minutes each way. I get everything set up, take one shot, and i get a fail to extract. So, i pull the charging handle all the way back, let it fly home, but wont close all the way. Lock the bolt back, turn the rifle on its side and this is what i see...

post-1459-1166763707.jpg

post-1459-1166763699.jpg

post-1459-1166763712.jpg

post-1459-1166763718.jpg

post-1459-1166763726.jpg

the bottom half of the first shell i found about 3 feet down range.

so after all that, i get to fire one shot and i have to pack it up and go home....NOT a good way to start the day

Edited by hoop762

So do we assume:

1) The first shell stuck, giving you an FTE

2) It was stuck so hard that when you racked the bolt it pulled the end off the casing. :o

3) The next one out of the mag jammed into the first one and setback the bullet. :o

OR

1) Did the case split on the first round.

2) When you racked the bolt it pulled the broken end off the casing.

3) The next one out of the mag jammed into the first one and setback the bullet.

What is your best guess?

the case split inside the chamber, leaving the front half lodged in and extracted the bottom half. When the bolt came forward to load a new round...JAMTASTIC! I had to beat it out with a cleaning rod and a hammer I have put close to 1000 rounds through this rifle and this is the first problem i have had. I am assuming it was the ammo. I picked it up at a local gun shop. Im up there quite a bit shooting the bull with the guys there and buy ammo there every so often and have had good luck in the past. This was some new stuff they had gotten in and he gave me a good deal on it to try it out for them since they had yet to try it too. Normally $7 for 30 rnds but i got it for $3.

Safe to say i am less than pleased. I threw the rest of it away. The last thing i want is to be bump firing and have the thing fire out of battery. That would ruin my day real quick