front hand guard, what's it going to take

here we go - -this is what I know:

1. you need to split a front spacer/holder and slip it on, then screw it back together.

2. I'll need both a new gas vent peice, and a new tube - fine.

3. the vent peice is being held in by a retainer pin., so is the front sights.

what does it take to get this peice off?

what type of tools does it take?

do I have to take the front site off?

How do you get it back in?

I read the post that some one put up with vllimus' instrcuctions- very cool by the way, I can follow that, no problem!

that push pin scares me - seems I might have to use some kinda press, and I don't know any body with one of those!

thanx in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are refering to the gas block (gas vent piece) you don't need a new one nor do you have to take the front sight if you are planning on spliting the handguard retainer. Try and folllow instrcuctions for the retainer. To take the pin out just use a punch and a hammer. then thread. you will need to notch the barrel for the machine screw just use a dremel, but mark the spot first using the retainer and handguard as a guide. I didn't have luck with that method it broke when trying to bend it around the barrel. What I did is to cut it in half vertically use a 10-24 screw in the top with a nut on the one side (size 12 are hard to get to fit) and then brazed an 8-32 coupler nut onto the retainer and then cut that in half again. It is rock solid on the barrel now Here are some crappy photos of the retainer. It looks better then the photo shows because I just used the scanner and it doesn't scan 3d objects well, but you should get the idea

post-5-1091888213.jpg

FWIW if the rotating tab that holds the gas tube is very difficult to manipulate, I squirted a tiny drop of ATF in the hinges of the rotating tab as well as lubricated the surface where the tab slides on.

Now I can pretty much lift the tab using my index finger and thumb w/ some force.

BattleRifleG3, that will be really good, I was not thinking to put an AK front hand guard on my saiga, but if a can do it with out destroying the finish on the rifle

that sounds really great. Looking forwards to it .