Newbie Questions

Greetings to all:

Great forum! i've always wondered when somebody would get around to making a mag-fed shotgun. I got mine yesterday as a b-day present to myself. Now I've a few questions I'm not yet able to answer. Any help is appreciated.

1. Choke markings: I've searched all over the receiver. I find the bore dia, Certification, testing. It's marked appropriately for Saiga 12 (18,3), but nowhere do I see a mark for choke. (F0.9 or F1.0)

Does that mean it's a cylinder bore? Manufacture date is June 06, 19" threaded bbl.

2. What is "Paradox" referred to in the manual table for choke tubes?

3. The pressure ring came set at 1, this apparently for 3' SHELL (76MM) What distinguishes hi-pressure from lo-pressure, generally? Are slugs hi-pressure, and 00 buckshot lo-pressure? Does it matter if 2 3/4 " or 3"?

4. Nearly perfect shotgun as far as I can tell, just needs a little seasoning... I woke up this morning thinking it would be even more perfect if safety was located as in M14/M1A system (blasphemy?)

Has anyone ever looked at maching a slot into trigger group plate for this?

Donation follows, as soon as my paycheck clears the bank. Damn the holidays. I'll keep lurking, learn from the experts. Y'all have a GREAT New Year & stay safe.

jim

Hunter78; thanks for the answers, 1-4. I appreciate the info.

As to the why of possibly modifying position of safety, I'm thoroughly accustomed to M1A and Ruger Mini-30 actions. I expect the safety to be in a specific location. Partly lazy, partly 'old-timers disease". Also, why not?

Finally, I guess, for the same reason all the other posts for flash suppressors, telescopic sights, raised front sight posts, fancy handguards and headlights... Boys and their toys. Nothing's ever perfect.

But I'll probably wait till I can get aholt of a new receiver to try anything. Hate to scuff up my new toy with tinkering.

But I'll probably wait till I can get aholt of a new receiver to try anything. Hate to scuff up my new toy with tinkering.

Jim, Welcome to the club. You might want to possibly see about getting an AK flat and playing around with it to see how you would want to modify the safety. This way you don't mess up your Saiga. Just don't make the flat up into a receiver.

Tapco AK flat

1. it's cylinder unless you have a choke tube attached to your threads

Is this the current configuration? I think most of them were full choked, at least in the early days. Mine turned a load of birdshot into a slug for the first 10 yards, never seen a choke that tight. There were posts a long time back regarding the markings.

Regardless, you can mike yours to get an idea, or test it at the range, or just shoot it to see how it performs on it's intended targets at intended distance .....