A suggestion for the FBMG 20 rd mags............

I was probably THE LAST preorder to get my mags(got 'em on wednesday, 1/03/07), even though I was was one of the first to pay.

Thats not my gripe. FBMG handled that little mix-up perfectly, and to my COMPLETE satisfaction. EXCELLENT customer service, especially with the type of concerns in this part of the year; especially with the SHOT show coming up.

Anyway, the delay in the delivery of the mags is no big deal with me, as I only counted on the discount that the preorder offered(yet I got MUCH MORE than I was counting on). This is due to the fact that I don't get to hit the range much, especially now that the ammo supply is costing so much more nowadays........even so, I got to go shoot today! YIPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, but the FBMG mags functioned FLAWLESSLY. No hiccups on the 4 FBMG mags and one FBMG mag body I fitted with the factory 8 round parts.

I will score these mags a win, but I do have some criticisms.................................

While the mags functioned FLAWLESSLY, I do have to say that they also increased the sexiness of my Saiga:

Before:

Dscn4557.jpg

..and after:

Dscn4566.jpg

Much better!

Anyway, I do have one small suggestion which is very important to the fit of the mag.

The catch on the back of the mag is a little too small. Its probably due to the shrinkage of the injected material upon curing, but the back tab is a little too thin in the area that the mag catch contacts it. When I compared it to a factory mag, the factory mag had complete contact with the rifles mag lever. The FBMG mag catch tab has some slack in it side-to side at the catch, and is not fully held by the bearing surface of the S308 mag catch. This results in more side-to-side wobble in the locked magazine, especially with a fully loaded, and heavy magazine.

Regardless, the mag functioned flawlessly, even through a short course of running, and barricade shooting.

The fix is easy for the molds. You just need to widen the rear catch. It seems like it would be a easy, and very minor change to the molds.

Anyway......James and Larry, thank you for making up for the screw up with the order in the way you did. I really appreciate it, and I hope you take these suggestions under consideration. I understand the massive risk you guys took, as well as the timing of the release in regard to the holidays AND the SHOT show. Don't ever let anyone say you didn't make an impact on the industry.

Edited by headshot

I was just about to post something about this (went to the range earlier) today . . .

My wife had several "failure to feeds". When we were trying to figure out what was going on, I noticed the catch seemed a touch smaller than the OE mags. Apparently, the rear catch was allowing the FBMG mag to "wobble" slightly, which seemed to be related to the failure. I may try building up the rear catch on one of my mags with a small layer of epoxy to see if this will help steady the mag some.

Larry

I was just about to post something about this (went to the range earlier) today . . .

My wife had several "failure to feeds". When we were trying to figure out what was going on, I noticed the catch seemed a touch smaller than the OE mags. Apparently, the rear catch was allowing the FBMG mag to "wobble" slightly, which seemed to be related to the failure. I may try building up the rear catch on one of my mags with a small layer of epoxy to see if this will help steady the mag some.

Larry

I didn't experience any failures during active shooting, but it was my concern that it may happen due to the movement of the magazine. I didn't experience any failures, but I was expecting some based on the movement of the magazine while it was locked in. I still am concerned about it being a problem, and that is why I am noting it for a suggestion to improve the design.

EDIT: I have experimented with metal foil duct tape. Adding a layer of it to the contact face of the catch works VERY well in eliminating the lateral wobble. Adding a strip to both of the sides(profile ) adds immensely in limiting the wobble in the magazine.

Edited by headshot