short barrel conversion?

To my knowledge, it can't. In fact, some 22's require it when you cut it down to 18.5. Tromix can do it for you, or you may be able to find a member in your area that has the tools and know-how.

Thanks for the reply Shaneman. You sir are not a DH after all. My apologies. :wub:

Are you saying you can't cut down saiga barrels? I could've sworn I've seen sawed off (very short) saigas before. Are you saying you can't do that without extensive modification not only to the barrel but also the gas system? I was thinking of cutting my saiga:

pix1884865517.jpg

Down to where the barrel would be exactly as long as the gas tube. I guess that's just a pipe dream that'd make my shotgun non-functional? Or is impossible? Or how far can you cut down/ with what modifications to the gas system to do so and have it still function?

You can cut them down easy enough, you may have to "open" up the gas ports slightly to allow enough gas in to cycle the rod properly with low powered shells. It all depends on your gun though and how many gas ports you have, typically 3 I believe. Some guns cut down to 18.5 will function properly without messing with it at all, some won't. It's by no means an extensive mod though, but it does take some precision. As for cutting it down to the gas tube, that would take an extensive rework of the entire gas operating system, because the round exits too quickly to allow proper pressure build up to cycle the rod. If you look at the Saiga 8" on Tromix's web page, you can see the difference. Plus you have to deal with registering your gun as a SBS then.

Edited by keyser

<--- 8" is really the practical limit. Tony has made them down to 6", but it becomes problematic due to the (shortened) gas piston coming out of it's tube when the bolt goes back.

Yeah, you do need to tune the gas ports to make a shorty run right.