Show Your Slings!

Do you use a standard AK sling on your Saiga? Does the existing front sling swivel work well, or is there a superior replacement?

How well does the Saiga work well with a loop sling and a hasty sling? It just seems a little strange having the butt-swivel on the side and the forearm swivel on the bottom.

I want to put a sling on my S-308, but don't want to half-ass it.

My front swing swivel fell off within a week of getting the rifle. I was trying to straighten the twisted sling, and it feel off and into a mud puddle. I'm sure it's still there, but I really don't have the urge to go find it.

Besides, for my purposes, I need a detachable sling mechanism. Read: detachable, not one that falls off LOL

John

I use one that's made of black nylon with a loop and buckle on the back end and a thin nylon strap with a buck on the front - that fits through the narrow sling swivel. Works good.

You can kinda see it in this pic:

HPIM0144.JPG

I think I got it from interordnance? Don't remember. Was listed as an sks/ak sling and I think $12.

It just seems a little strange having the butt-swivel on the side and the forearm swivel on the bottom.

m-4 and (newer) ak slings are set up with the butt sideways so the sling can support it at the low ready with the sling over your left shoulder (right handed) and still be able to bring it up to shoot without having to take it off. If you have the length just right, it will sit low enough on your body when it hangs, and will provide a little tension when you bring it up to aim. The old school ak sling stud on the bottom of the butt is for parade slings, or hanging it over your shoulder, muzzle up. The m-4 stocks have both. I adjust mine so I can make one wrap with my left hand when I aim, and it gives a little stability, and the sling just lines the bottom of the handgaurd and is in line with the stud. Kinda hard to explain I guess. Now that I'm used to it, that wrap works better with the stud on the bottom.

Edited by shaneman153a
It just seems a little strange having the butt-swivel on the side and the forearm swivel on the bottom.

m-4 and (newer) ak slings are set up with the butt sideways so the sling can support it at the low ready with the sling over your left shoulder (right handed) and still be able to bring it up to shoot without having to take it off. If you have the length just right, it will sit low enough on your body when it hangs, and will provide a little tension when you bring it up to aim. The old school ak sling stud on the bottom of the butt is for parade slings, or hanging it over your shoulder, muzzle up. The m-4 stocks have both. I adjust mine so I can make one wrap with my left hand when I aim, and it gives a little stability, and the sling just lines the bottom of the handgaurd and is in line with the stud. Kinda hard to explain I guess. Now that I'm used to it, that wrap works better with the stud on the bottom.

It's a good enough explanation for me. Has the little front sling stud loosened on you at all? That's my biggest concern. I may remove the forearm from the rifle and back a heavier-duty sling swivel with a little piece of metal.

It's a good enough explanation for me. Has the little front sling stud loosened on you at all? That's my biggest concern. I may remove the forearm from the rifle and back a heavier-duty sling swivel with a little piece of metal.

No, but since he mentioned it above, I think I'm gonna use less tension on it! Or beef it up as you stated.