This will be my first time using anything other than iron sights. Could you guys please look at this scope and tell me whether or not its a good scope at a good price. And nightvisionweb.com says that the Saiga will work with a VM type mount; is that what you guys have also found? Thanks.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/cgi-bin/kowst...gno=GSPOSP642AK

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/posp_6x42.htm

I couldn't tell you from experiance, I've not actually layed eyes on that thing - but THAT one or the 8X pos (whatever it's called) is the one I'd seriously look at for the .308.

keep russian with russian. sounds good to me.

It will fit, the rails have been standardized for some time - is the information I have gathered.

that doesn't really help you, but it looks/sounds (the scope) good to me!

I have the 8X scope of that type, the POSP 8X. I tried to purchase it from Kalinka but had no luck with them shipping the product although I was able to get my money back easy enough. I then ordered mine from Night Vision Web with good results. The VM mount will work perfectly. You can see additional pictures of mine with the scope mounted here:

POSP on 16" Saiga .308

The scope is off set to the left of course and I actually find it easier to shoot using my left eye. Strange but true! I removed the rubber piece on the eye side of the scope as I found it annoying to get bopped in the eye every time I shot the rifle. Don't forget to order batteries for the illuminated reticule when you order the scope, it would work great in limited light situations. If you look on the bottom of the page referenced above you will see the group I shot with the scope/rifle combination. The other slick thing with this of course is that you can remove the scope and remount it without losing zero! Very nice! Oh, I didn't get the adustable eyepiece and havn't missed it yet.

leftside.jpg

Edited by phoglund

Nice Pics. The 8x looks really good on our rifle. That grouping looks good, certainly better than anything I've done with iron at any range, but what range did you make that group?

I really like the Muzzle view pic.

Gosh darn it, I just bought one of those 8x42 POSP setups & couldn't resist having a laser tacked on. My wife is gonna kill me.

I'll be counting the days to see what it takes Nightvisionweb to get this thing from Utah to PA via "Ground".

Surely it gets shipped with a battery? You did mean to suggest ordering extras right?

That group was made with a stock rifle first time to the range. If my rifle is any example of the breed of both rifle and scope I'd say they are both one of the best bargains around.

Take note:

Semi-auto .308 cal. rifle based on the extremely robust Kalishnikov action made in the original military arms factory of the former Soviet Union purchased brand new for under $300. Short barrel, synthetic stock and capable of 1.5 MOA accuracy right out of the box with surplus ammo. Original siderail military standard scope rail.

8 X 42 high quality optics scope made in original military arms factory for former Soviet Union purchased brand new for under $150 delivered. Very robust design that slides onto integrated rail on AK series rifles and can be removed and reattached without losing zero. Illuminated range finding reticle with chevrons for adjustment of windage and elevation. Finger adjustable, repeatable, click stop, resettable for zero turrets. Scope has a sunshade on the front and a rubber eyepiece on the rear. The iron sights can also be used when the scope is attached.

Where else can you get such a combination for around $400? You can't!

I'm VERY happy with this rifle. (Can you tell?) :D