Factory Sights

Ok, shot my new .223 today, had rear sight set (or I think it was set) at 100m.

Every shot went high @ 100m (from 6" to 12" high)

@ 50m all was fine.

Please take a look at this diagram and let me know which color is correct placement of the adjuster on the sight. I had it set on the red location. Thanks

Any suggestions appreciated.

post-5347-1171504012.jpg

You want it set to the green markings. If you don't feel it click in place release pressure on the checkered surface (don't know the proper term for it) and push it slightly forward or slightly back until it does so.

Did you shoot the 50m distance with that setting (outlined in red)? If you did you'll need to drop the sight into the proper notch and recheck your groups.

The fact that you were hitting high at 100m makes sense because you had the elevation set to roughly 150m.

GunnyR

You want it set to the green markings. If you don't feel it click in place release pressure on the checkered surface (don't know the proper term for it) and push it slightly forward or slightly back until it does so.

Did you shoot the 50m distance with that setting (outlined in red)? If you did you'll need to drop the sight into the proper notch and recheck your groups.

The fact that you were hitting high at 100m makes sense because you had the elevation set to roughly 150m.

GunnyR

Thanks GunnyR, I did shoot 50m with the setting in Red. Thanks I will use the green settings and recheck everything. Just kinda strange, on them all going high, it could be partly me too, getting used to the weapon.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to mess with the elevation on the front sight unless I had too.

Horseman,

At 50m you had mentioned that everything was fine, which is why I suggested you recheck your groups. You should have been shooting roughly 2-4 inches high at that distance with the red settings. You may have just chalked it up to the weapon. In theory, once you set the proper elevation setting on the rear sight you should be dead on at 50m.

Don't be afraid to adjust the front sight for elevation and or windage. If you find your groups consistently left or right definitely adjust for windage. It is purely guesstimation because there is no click system for left or right. But if you can get it down at 50m then you can always use Kentucky windage at longer distances.

Same for up/down adjustments. You should have an elevation tool in your cleaning gear. If it's anything like the one that came with my .308 it will look like a flat piece of metal with two small prongs at the end. Go ahead and use it. Don't be afraid to screw up the weapon because chances are you won't...at least as far as sights go.

Horseman,

At 50m you had mentioned that everything was fine, which is why I suggested you recheck your groups. You should have been shooting roughly 2-4 inches high at that distance with the red settings. You may have just chalked it up to the weapon. In theory, once you set the proper elevation setting on the rear sight you should be dead on at 50m.

Don't be afraid to adjust the front sight for elevation and or windage. If you find your groups consistently left or right definitely adjust for windage. It is purely guesstimation because there is no click system for left or right. But if you can get it down at 50m then you can always use Kentucky windage at longer distances.

Same for up/down adjustments. You should have an elevation tool in your cleaning gear. If it's anything like the one that came with my .308 it will look like a flat piece of metal with two small prongs at the end. Go ahead and use it. Don't be afraid to screw up the weapon because chances are you won't...at least as far as sights go.

GunnyR,

Thanks, I did find out my front windage was off and that should take care of the shots going left. I am going out Sunday to check things out agajn and will let you know what happens.

Im not sure how the 223 is set up. The regular AK sight has a higher elevation with the slide set all the way back. This is called the battlesight setting and is where you leave it unless you want to set it for a specific distance. Most battlesight positions are dead on at about 250 meters which will give a hit on a man sized target out to about 350 meters by holding center of mass. I just leave mine on 100 and adjust the elevation right on at that distance. You will find that the sight markings are not always correct and you have to check the ammo you are using to be sure of hits.

Edited by ironhead7544
Im not sure how the 223 is set up. The regular AK sight has a higher elevation with the slide set all the way back. This is called the battlesight setting and is where you leave it unless you want to set it for a specific distance. Most battlesight positions are dead on at about 250 meters which will give a hit on a man sized target out to about 350 meters by holding center of mass. I just leave mine on 100 and adjust the elevation right on at that distance. You will find that the sight markings are not always correct and you have to check the ammo you are using to be sure of hits.

The Saiga is setup with the lowest elevation towards the rear of the back sight.

Horseman,

Honestly, I am not sure what the increments are for the front sight elevation as far as the Saiga is concerned. However, I've had plenty of experience with the M16A2 and I'll give you the same advice I'd give to a shooter at the 200m line.

Make bold adjustments at the front sight post. If you are shooting 12-15'' high, move the front sight post UP about 8 to 10 clicks and see where you go from there. Remember that raising the front sight post causes you to move the barrel down to make a center mass sight picture.

Watch your breathing. If you are stringing your shots along the center make sure that you are holding your breath while you squeeze the trigger. I only mention this because I had guys with good dope (adjustments) on their weapon but horrible breathing problems. Their shots would usually end up stringing above the bull (but not really group) and they would immediately try to make corrections on the weapon. Try and elimate this possiblity before you move the front sight post.

And one more thing...once you get that weapon dialed in (and I think you are well on your way there) if you change the stocks (pistol grip conversion) you will need to recheck your zero.

Horseman,

Honestly, I am not sure what the increments are for the front sight elevation as far as the Saiga is concerned. However, I've had plenty of experience with the M16A2 and I'll give you the same advice I'd give to a shooter at the 200m line.

Make bold adjustments at the front sight post. If you are shooting 12-15'' high, move the front sight post UP about 8 to 10 clicks and see where you go from there. Remember that raising the front sight post causes you to move the barrel down to make a center mass sight picture.

Watch your breathing. If you are stringing your shots along the center make sure that you are holding your breath while you squeeze the trigger. I only mention this because I had guys with good dope (adjustments) on their weapon but horrible breathing problems. Their shots would usually end up stringing above the bull (but not really group) and they would immediately try to make corrections on the weapon. Try and elimate this possiblity before you move the front sight post.

And one more thing...once you get that weapon dialed in (and I think you are well on your way there) if you change the stocks (pistol grip conversion) you will need to recheck your zero.

Thanks GunnyR,

Making bold adjustments on the front sight makes since, Thanks. I wouldn't have done that on my own.

If you are shooting and hit Point "A", and make a bold adjustment and hit Point "B", You know what your adjustment is after that, half as many clicks back towards "A".

Have a good day sir. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Saiga in stock config and checked it with a laser. From what I can tell the battle sight zero (slide it all the way back) is pretty much dead on and this is how I shoot mine at 25-50 yards.

Keep in mind that at 25-50 yards your shot should be roughly 1-1.5 inches low since that is how far down the barrel is from the top of the front sight and this also shows up at 100 yards as well to a degree.

I have not tested mine at 100yards yet because I plan on getting a Saiga specific POSP scope for it later. Since most Russian scopes are offset to the side that is a whole other headache and it took me forever to finally get my PSL sighted in right LOL.

I really need to get out and shoot this thing more but weather is just now starting to warm up here.

Im tempted to contact Saiga or RAA about this myself. Anyone know for sure on the sight set up?

Edited by GonzoX