what saiga 12 to get

hi everyone, looks like a good site here. i called my local dealer the other day to see about getting one of these and he said his supplier has one with a fixed choke or a few with the adjustable choke. not knowing much about these is one better then the other? at first i thought the fixed was the welded type but really wasnt sure any suggestions. thanks ron

ps the price was 429 plus tax is this the going price?

Edited by rgb03

You want to get one that has the barrel end threaded. It comes with a barrel nut (thread protector) and then you can get a set of chokes for it that screw on or you can get a more elaborate choke, like a PolyChoke. $429 is a little higher than in the past but Saiga prices have gone up a bit recently.

You want to get one that has the barrel end threaded. It comes with a barrel nut (thread protector) and then you can get a set of chokes for it that screw on or you can get a more elaborate choke, like a PolyChoke. $429 is a little higher than in the past but Saiga prices have gone up a bit recently.

thanks for the fast reply. so the adjustable is probably the threaded one and the fixed the welded or un threaded?

thanks for the fast reply. so the adjustable is probably the threaded one and the fixed the welded or un threaded?

The fixed is either the welded one or, on some older Saigas there is an internal fixed choke.

The fixed is either the welded one or, on some older Saigas there is an internal fixed choke.

thanks again. the model number on the adjustable one is iz108 its described as having a muzzel adapter. i guess thats the threads?

thanks again. the model number on the adjustable one is iz108 its described as having a muzzel adapter. i guess thats the threads?

Sounds like it to me

Not sure if the IZ-108 has the BHO. I always get the 109--it definitely has the BHO on it, and the threaded barrel.

so the 109 is the one i should try to get. is this model still made?

Yes, it is probably the most common one that is being purchased at present.

Not sure if the IZ-108 has the BHO. I always get the 109--it definitely has the BHO on it, and the threaded barrel.

so the 109 is the one i should try to get. is this model still made?

Yes, it is probably the most common one that is being purchased at present.

ok thanks. also i found some info at gilberst guns.com they have both in stock and i dont see much difference other then the 108 has a vent rib sight(?). and at saigacentral at stanleys pro shop it does say the 109 has bolt hold back and it says nothing about the 109 having the bolt feature.

Both my 108 and 109 have the manual last round bolt hold open in them. I would assume at this point in time, unless it is old inventory, they have gone to that on all of them.

last round bolt hold open? i thought there was a conversion, but i didnt know that factory ones had last round bolt hold opens. or do you mean that it is the button operated bolt hold open. can you post a pic?

Both my 108 and 109 have the manual last round bolt hold open in them. I would assume at this point in time, unless it is old inventory, they have gone to that on all of them.

last round bolt hold open? i thought there was a conversion, but i didnt know that factory ones had last round bolt hold opens. or do you mean that it is the button operated bolt hold open. can you post a pic?

its a manual bolt hold open. you have to push in a button for it to lock back.

also i believe the only difference in the 108 and the 109 is that the 108 has a adjustable rear leaf sight and the 109 has the groove site(a little extra info for the noobs like myself that maybe viewing this thread).

Leaf as in vent rib with bead, or real AK style rear site like the Saiga rifle?

the 108 has a adjustable rear leaf sight and the 109 has the groove site(a little extra info for the noobs like myself that maybe viewing this thread).
Edited by dog
Leaf as in vent rib with bead, or real AK style rear site like the Saiga rifle?

the 108 has a adjustable rear leaf sight and the 109 has the groove site(a little extra info for the noobs like myself that maybe viewing this thread).

not really sure. i was talking to a guy from raa and he said it had a adjustable leaf sight that was about 8 inches long. he also said he has fired both and sees little difference in the sight styles with a very slight edge going to the adjustable leaf model. he also said that they may be making some changes in the future but nothing that he would wait for.