Elite Firearms Conversions Update

Took my converted Saiga to the range today to test it out. It feeds okay, but the trigger hangs up in most rearward position almost every time you fire it. It's a simple matter to push it ahead with your trigger finger, but it still ain't right, and downright dangerous that way. It surprised me when on the twelfth round, the trigger just stayed rearward. I though it jammed, but no. I touched it again, and it went off. Fortunately I was the only on the range today so no harm done.

It's a hair trigger when it does that. By simply pushing it forward with just a slight touch it's okay, but something is hanging up, so I took it to my gunsmith.

He examined it, and said that the hook is very sharp, and digging into it's related parts causing the hang up. He said that they are cast parts, and that he can fix it okay, but I won't see it for a couple more months he's so backed up with work. He's a master gunsmith, and I have full confidence in him. I was not going to send it back to Dave because of the shipping issue I had. He should have test fired it before he shipped back to me anyhow. My guy will test fire it before he puts his stamp of approval on it.

Anyhow, I'm sure it's nothing that a file or polishing stone won't cure, but I'm not touching it because I don't know of these things.

I guess it's just one of those things that happen with mass produced cast parts. There are burrs, and I don't know what FCG he put in there. Tapco? It's a single hook, I know that.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know.

You have an early style Tapco G2 Trigger installed, that does not have the R/H lower relief cut to clear the Saiga trigger opening in the receiver. If you look up from the bottom of your gun as you pull the trigger, you will see the trigger strike the forward R/H corner of the receiver opening. You need to either grind some material off the R/H lower corner of the trigger, or widen/elongate the receiver opening.

There are no burrs....your MASTER gunsmith is a dumbass.

****************Edited****************

On another note, how does one actually become a "Master Gunsmith". Can you get some sort of degree from a college University that is acredited by the State? Or do you just go to some dude's business that "blesses" that honor upon you, after you take his class and pay him a bunch of money? Maybe you get some holy water sprinkled on you? I would sure like to hear it...........

When I got my FFL, I bought an FFL "kit" for about $50 bucks that had all the bound books and paper work with it. It also came with a "Certified Gunsmith" plaque, suitable for framing, in case you need to bullshit your customers. I promply trashed that. Do you think John Moses Browning had a "Master Gunsmith" plaque hanging on his wall? I wonder who blessed him?

If your gunsmith refers to himself as a "Master"....he's just a MasterBater.

I have no such credentials.........

Tony

:lol: Ya, like hes some kinda Jedi. Titles don't mean shit. People don't swear by Tromix because you have a 10th degree black belt in gunsmithing.

Its because you know WTF you are talking about, and you do really nice work.

On another note, how does one actually become a "Master Gunsmith". Can you get some sort of degree from a college University that is acredited by the State? Or do you just go to some dude's business that "blesses" that honor upon you, after you take his class and pay him a bunch of money? Maybe you get some holy water sprinkled on you? I would sure like to hear it...........

Here you go Tony; all you need is $20....

You guys are right. The gunsmith I take my guns to does not claim to be a master of anything. That is what I said of him because of the past work he's done for me, and others.

I should have chosen my words more careful, because the rule of thumb is that when you hear the word "expert" or "master of" you should immediately start growing flags out of every orifice in you body.

Thanks be to Tony whom offered to fix my gun at no charge. However, I respectfully declined because I discovered that the FCG that was installed is the crappy Century kind, and not a G2 after all. So that prompted my decision to order an RSA FCG along with their Shepherds Hook replacement steel plate and be done with it. I just don't want sub standard parts in an otherwise fine gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I changed my mind and got a Tapco G2 single hook instead because the Red Star requires you to grind away a small portion of the Safety block that prevents the trigger from being pulled. I'm sure it's no big deal, and you can always get a replacement, but for my limited knowledge of such things, I thought a simple drop in replacement better.

I was right. I can't believe how easy it was. Scoutjoe, is correct. That steel plate replacement for the Shepherds Hook is a must have for anyone with an AK. Looks as though it holds the pins more securely as well.

Anyhow, I got out to the range today for a test fire, and it functions flawlessly now. Now I'm waiting for the weather to break so that I can sight it in. Over all though, I'm very pleased with it now. It's my first experience firing an AK variant, and I can see why it's the weapon of choice for both revolution and oppression in many countries throughout the world. A very simple, yet reliable tool that the conscript of almost any age can learn to shoot.