Anybody take their S12s to uppity skeet ranges

Yep, and they get pissed when you out shoot 'em! Here's some "lessons learned":

I had to mod my safety to hold the bolt open (or you can use a bolt block).

Bring lots of mags, 'cause you can only load 2 at a time.

Realize that skeet are much tougher to shoot than hand-thrown trap. (I didn't) A 28" goose gun vs. a 22" IC saiga. I'm not saying you can't hit them, but it's not the best gun for it.

Overall, a pretty good experience, just don't be uppity back to them. Come with a good attitude and be friendly and they shouldn't shun you.

I plan on taking mine once it is back. Right now I'll stick with the Charles Daly. I'm going to a skeet shoot in 3 hrs. I about laugh out loud at the guys that have the over/unders that blow down the tubes after they shoot each time. It is a small group, no prize money, 15 stages with rabbits, baby birds, normal ones, ones you cant see till they drop, etc. Ditto on the 2 rds thing at a time though. It is a fun experience, every time though. I would recommend everyone try it out.

I had largely the same experience. Had to notch the safety, use a mag block, got some funny looks. It's also not that easy to hit skeet with a saiga. My Franchi does better, but I take the S12 every time just in case I get the fever.

I plan on taking mine once it is back. Right now I'll stick with the Charles Daly. I'm going to a skeet shoot in 3 hrs. I about laugh out loud at the guys that have the over/unders that blow down the tubes after they shoot each time. It is a small group, no prize money, 15 stages with rabbits, baby birds, normal ones, ones you cant see till they drop, etc. Ditto on the 2 rds thing at a time though. It is a fun experience, every time though. I would recommend everyone try it out.

Never done sporting clays, I'd love to though.

Havent done clays since 6th grade. Might want to consider a choke before taking the 19" Saiga to a range like that.

As stated...they arent the easiest things to hit. --The type of Shot and Pattern are important on those flying saucers of death.

I agree that if you go with the intent to "just curous how it would perform against clays" ......that uppity crowd might give a tip or two.

Respect given is respect earned. After all, there's plenty of vets that turn to skeet after retiring from "the field". Might just give you a tip that saves your life one day.

...or maybe some 3 gun as well and there's more free advice.

~S