Bulgarian Barrels on a Saiga?

I was looking at k-var's website and noticed their Bulgarian made AK-104 barrel assys: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=274&page=1

Will that work on a Saiga? (And yeah I know thats a lot of work...)

I believe they do fit without modification.Headspace will need to be checked and I think the cross pin slot has to be milled out.

edit: I don't know if the trunnions from the Saiga and the Bulgarian barrels match or not.

Edited by TEXASAK73
saiga trunnions 22mm . that barrells 23 mm . doable .

So you turn the barrel down at the chamber?

yes , but gently . You want the male being about .10 - .15 mm larger then the female . A mic is a must or you're just guessing . None of this 3'rd world stuff is exact , measure each and turn to fit .

You know the Bulgarian barrel and trunnion are designed for the shorter bolt lugs.The Saiga's have long bolt lugs like an AK74.The Bulgarian 7.62 and 5.56 have smaller bolt bolt lugs.There may or may not be a difference for clearance below the front sight block in the trunnion.Headspace and how far back the barrel sits may throw things off.Not sure how legal it would be to change the trunnion in the sheetmetal.If all you want is a Russian receiver it seems a hard way to go.

good info...im mainly a 308 guy so im i dont know anything about the 223s. i really want a ak-104.

texas, whats involved in milling out the slot? i didnt get that.

My understanding is that the barrel is pressed into the trunnion and headspaced then the slot is cut via vertical milling like a drill press operation.

Can anyone confirm if that is correct?

good info...im mainly a 308 guy so im i dont know anything about the 223s. i really want a ak-104.

texas, whats involved in milling out the slot? i didnt get that.

My understanding is that the barrel is pressed into the trunnion and headspaced then the slot is cut via vertical milling like a drill press operation.

Can anyone confirm if that is correct?

The problem is the huge difference in tthe designs.The difference in bolt lugs is large.Not the .001's of an inch headspace different.The amount of change in how far the barrel is in the trunnion would throw everything way off.The Bulgarian barrel is not designed to be that far out of the trunnion.Compare a Bulgarian bolt with a Saiga bolt.Also the matching trunnion is required for each bolt design so swapping bolts with the barrels is not an option.To headspace the Bulgarian barrel in the Saiga trunnion with the Saiga bolt would have the barrel much farther out of the trunnion than the barrel is designed to be.Then the rear sight block is moved back to match the trunnion and top cover.Then the gas block moved back pass the point of the gas port to fit the gas tube.It would not be ideal even you got it to work.

Edited by Koevoet