70GR TAP ammo in the Saiga

I was wondering if anyone has fired this ammo in thier Saiga, and how did it do. I cannot help but notice that the thread relating to accuracy was hi-jacked.

It is my understanding (and I'm too tired to go measure my own .223 Saiga right now, to check) that the .223 Saigas use a barrel with a 9" twist. You might want to check out the link posted here, under #11:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14852

If for any reason that won't come up for you, allow me to quote:

"NOTE: For general purpose LE use, if stuck with 1/9 twist barrels, the heavy 70+ gr match OTM loads are not universally accurate in all rifles and the 69 gr SMK OTM, the 68 gr Hornady OTM, the Winchester 64 gr JSP (RA223R2), or one of the new Federal 64 gr TRU (223L) JSP, Hornady 60 gr JSP, or Nosler 60 gr Partition JSP's are the best choices to most likely run accurately in the majority of 1/9 twist rifles."

As for the other thread being "hi-jacked," please note that many Savage .223 bolt action rifles (including mine) have 9" twist barrels - just like the Saiga...

;>)

Edited by Bad Bob

FYI, there's a good article in the December 04, 2006 'Shotgun News' about Bulgarian .223 AKs - but apparently the Bulgy SLR-106FR uses a "1:7 twist" barrel, so it doesn't sound like the ammunition-specific info would be directly applicable to the .223 Saigas...

;>)