Hey everyone,

First post here and I wanted to thank you all for the great information provided here.

I am considering buying a Saiga .223, but I am concerned about the reliability of the rifle after the conversion is done. I would like to put a pistol grip on the rifle and also be able to use 30 round mags. Have those of you with do it yourself conversions had any problems with reliability? What troubles have you had?

Also, what should I expect for average price for .223 rounds?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JackAttack
Hey everyone,

First post here and I wanted to thank you all for the great information provided here.

I am considering buying a Saiga .223, but I am concerned about the reliability of the rifle after the conversion is done. I would like to put a pistol grip on the rifle and also be able to use 30 round mags. Have those of you with do it yourself conversions had any problems with reliability? What troubles have you had?

Thanks in advance.

Dude it's an AK!! Reliable!! Haven't priced .223 recently but all ammo is up up, some twice what it was six months ago. Welcome to the forum!

The White box WW ammo from Wally World has been out around here for months. The next up is the Remington 55gr FMJ at $6.49 a box. Wolf is probably your cheapest bet if it is available in your area. The goal is to get it for $3-$4 per round. Specialty stuff runs more...

Classic Arms has Wolf .223 for $160/case of 1000.

Not a bad price, whats their shipping like?

Don't recall offhand. They are at 704-684-0650--you can inquire direct to your location.

Thanks for the info guys! I am just a little bit timid about messing with a firearm as I have never done anything like it before.

The good news is that I put my .223 on layaway today!!! I just have to get my tax refund and I can take her home. I talked with the guy at the shop today and he said that the Saiga's are already "opened up" to accept high cap mags, does anyone know the truth behind this?

Also which mod should I plan on doing first? I would like to put a pistol grip on as well as modify it for 30 round mags.