S-223 VS. S-7.62

Has anyone actualy shot both of these guns? Even you own experiences with either. Is one more accurate at long distances, or more reliable? Which one did you like more? How about the bbl lengths, is a 20" bbl going to out shoot the 16"? I was pondering weather or not i should get a .223 since i already have a MAK-90 and a SKS. I realy havent seen too much of a price difference in the two rounds, but WTF is up with the prices!!! Jesus, when i first started shooting boxes of 7.62 were like $2 a box and i thought that was expensive! Now its up to $4 and up around here. The only other factor that would make me pick up a .223 is that you can relaod, but that might get kind of spendy to start out. Let me know what you think, im curious and do alot of research/asking questions before a purchase, bias or not. Thanks for the help...

Has anyone actualy shot both of these guns? Even you own experiences with either. Is one more accurate at long distances, or more reliable? Which one did you like more? How about the bbl lengths, is a 20" bbl going to out shoot the 16"? I was pondering weather or not i should get a .223 since i already have a MAK-90 and a SKS. I realy havent seen too much of a price difference in the two rounds, but WTF is up with the prices!!! Jesus, when i first started shooting boxes of 7.62 were like $2 a box and i thought that was expensive! Now its up to $4 and up around here. The only other factor that would make me pick up a .223 is that you can relaod, but that might get kind of spendy to start out. Let me know what you think, im curious and do alot of research/asking questions before a purchase, bias or not. Thanks for the help...

The advantage of reloading (reguardless of cal) is a large up front investment, but depending on your rounds per month on the range your return on that investment could be short. .233 has a decided edge in the reloading, using once fired military brass the cost of projectiles is less and the amount of powder is less too. So your handloads are going to be much cheaper per box than your handloaded 7.62).

Typically the .223 guns are more accurate than the 7.62, but I think that this is more due to the fact that .223 (mil-spec and U.S. produced) is loaded to better standards than the 7.62 (wolf-which many shoot). The .223 (being lighter in projectile weight and needing velocity to manintain it's energy) benifits for the extra 4" inches in the 20" gun over the 16". The advantage in extra barrel length in the 7.62 is less.

If you are only interested in a punching paper at under 100 yds of less there is little difference in either barrel length or cals.

All that said if you own several other 7.62 guns, do not currently reload, and the price of off the shelf ammo is the same in your area, then I would stick with the 7.62. Buy it cheap and stack it deep. All the above is just my own $00.02.

I've shot both, and they're both good guns. Since you're already shooting 7.62 I would tell you to go that route. Limiting the calibers you own makes supplying your habit that much easier. Plus, 7.62 mags are much easier to come by.

I have a .223 because I am an AR guy at heart and that will always be my go to rifle. With that in mind, the Saiga is more or less a toy, and by having it in .223 I am able to use the ammo I have on hand anyway.

I want to shoot out past 100yds accurately, say maby 150-200...so do i go .223 or a 7.62? I use my iron sites with my MAK and its pretty accurate up to about 100yds, so i dont realy have a need for a "paper puncher" as stated above, we like to shoot flywheels, c.d.'s, bricks, and chunks of concrete!!!

Limiting the calibers you own makes supplying your habit that much easier. Plus, 7.62 mags are much easier to come by.

Amen on both points. It's easy to spend more on a new type of ammunition (if you buy on sale, and like to have plenty available), or a new type of mag (including the spares we all buy, if they're not cheap), than on a new rifle. It makes a lot of sense to standardize ammo & mags - a LOT of sense.

I have a .223 because I am an AR guy at heart and that will always be my go to rifle. With that in mind, the Saiga is more or less a toy, and by having it in .223 I am able to use the ammo I have on hand anyway.

With me, my AR is the toy - my .223 Saiga and my ,223 Savage 10FP are the 'keepers.' Not that I would argue with you - everyone obviously has different priorities...