Technical questions from a newbie

Just found this site and now I gotta get a Saiga (or three). Now for a few questions:

#1 I want to get a few 20 round drums so I will register the Saiga as a Destructive Device. Since the DD classification trumps the SBS classification, I would like to get several barrel lengths so I could have a more modular platform. Does the barrel detach from the receiver easily (like a pump gun) or is it more or less permantly attached (like a rifle)? Or put another way, would I have to get 2 guns, say a 19" and another 8 or 12 (to register as DD)"?

#2 When I was a class 3 dealer 13 years ago, I remember reading that the DD classification also trumps the machine gun classification so what would prevent one from now converting the DD into a select fire model? That would be too cool!

#3 Is there any possibility that the Saiga will stop being imported due to a future AWB, arbitrary ATF decision, ect. In other words, would it be better to buy several now and sit on them to use as future projects, investments, ect. It seems that the prices are and will continue to go up.

#4 A guy on gunbroker is selling a "package" that includes a full stock threaded 19" model and a factory folding stock, railed handguard and front grip. I'm assuming that you couldn't attach (or probably even have together) these extra parts until it has the correct number of US made parts . Correct?

Thanks for your consideration and expertise.

Just found this site and now I gotta get a Saiga (or three). Now for a few questions:

#1 I want to get a few 20 round drums so I will register the Saiga as a Destructive Device. Since the DD classification trumps the SBS classification, I would like to get several barrel lengths so I could have a more modular platform. Does the barrel detach from the receiver easily (like a pump gun) or is it more or less permantly attached (like a rifle)? Or put another way, would I have to get 2 guns, say a 19" and another 8 or 12 (to register as DD)"?

#2 When I was a class 3 dealer 13 years ago, I remember reading that the DD classification also trumps the machine gun classification so what would prevent one from now converting the DD into a select fire model? That would be too cool!

#3 Is there any possibility that the Saiga will stop being imported due to a future AWB, arbitrary ATF decision, ect. In other words, would it be better to buy several now and sit on them to use as future projects, investments, ect. It seems that the prices are and will continue to go up.

#4 A guy on gunbroker is selling a "package" that includes a full stock threaded 19" model and a factory folding stock, railed handguard and front grip. I'm assuming that you couldn't attach (or probably even have together) these extra parts until it has the correct number of US made parts . Correct?

forget 20 rounders

ya it will be included in the AWB

if you want folder you might as well moddify it yourself or look up tromix.com ... the "factory" folder is kinda crappy i think... but then again i ordered the factory dragunov style stock

but these are just my dumb opinions

1) Barrel is pressed on, maybe with a serious press you could get it off, but over time you'd deform the barrels and receiver. Better just to get multiple guns. There is also a chance that having a drum and a S12 (even if it is not a SBS) together would make it a DD. So if you get the drum, be prepared to register all the S12s you get as DDs.

2) I'm fairly sure a DD and a Class III are two separate classifications and you'd have to register it as both, but this isn't my area of expertise.

3) There's a possibility. Buy now, even if they're not banned they retain their resale value.

4) Don't buy that goofy package. It's cheap and would violate 922r.

1) may or may not become. More than likely though based on consensus and various independent "conversations" (leave me out of that one guys/gals). Rather not touch the drum subject, so lets address the other part of the question:

As for the barrel length -what you get is what you get. As far as SBS goes, I wouldnt trust anyone else to do it except Tromix on that subject. Through trial and certainly error there's modifications that have to be made for the gas flow. I'd leave highly suggest you defer to experience Tony R. has for that topic.

2) If you convert to full auto, best have your finances in order. You'd be going to prison I would think. (1986 pre-ban AND converted already. That trumps all. These are made past 1986.). Essentially, even if you have a AK made in 1980, if it wasnt converted -and registered class 3- prior to the 1986 cutoff...you just have an old ass gun. You couldn't legally convert that gun now -so you can't convert your shotgun now either (made well past 1986).

However, (not sure)...if you were a "class 2" weaponsmith you "MIGHT" (not sure) be able to convert or make one for being a Post Sample (or was it a PRE sample?). If that was an option, you'd not be able sell it except to law enforcement etc. Ugh...anyway, something like that -and not likely possible unless you built it from scratch. A true gunsmith here on the forum might know that answer.

3) Anything is possible as far as imports and future bans. Let alone export rules as well (keep that in mind). Are they an investment? Without a doubt. I have 2 and probably will have 3 eventually. If they go DD, yes that'd be sad. But personally it would increase the value in my opinion. It would go down for those not allowed to keep them at all but not for those in states where people have them and others cant get them anymore.

**For the record...I hope that NEVER happens. **

4) I think you should be cautious on the factory stock that includes the folder and pistol grip. I am not positive on this one, but I think that since they cannot be "imported" in this configuration, that means they consider that particular stock to be a pistol grip. Hence a considered a "conversion" where you are not at 10 foreigh parts or less (factory folder is a foreigh part of course). If you want a conversion, best advice is to convert using the US parts and moving the trigger group forward etc. Again, this could be done by many people -others are the best though. Personally, I do not suggest that factory folder package based on what Ive read about the 922r stuff.