Modifying my Tactical Forend Handguard

Hello! .... (dammit, why can't I edit the friggen Subject Title of this post, to correct the misspelling of "handguard"??? Bloody hell...)

( ***MOD EDIT*** Title edited to be correct, bro!! :up: )

A select few of you have been waiting to see pics of my new TROMIX S-20. Well, I'm sorry to report that I'm still not ready to take photos of the S-20... just yet.

The delay has been the modifications that I'm making to the Russian Tactical Forend with integrated picatinny rail. I asked Tony Rumore to cut/grind down the back portion of the rail so that I could have a comfortable hold on the handguard. Since receiving my completed TROMIX S-20 this past Monday, I've been sanding down and refining the cut that Tony did on the rail, as well as routing-out a location on the side of the handguard where my gun laser's pressure pad will sit... providing a cleaner, lower profile to the overall handguard (my intent anyway).

Below are a few pics of my progress to date. Currently, I've filled in with epoxy paste the hole that was left behind when the railing was cut away. I figure tomorrow (Sunday) I'll be sanding the epoxy smooth.... then painting the epoxy.

Anyway, hopefully by Monday or Tuesday of this week I'll be posting all the photos that anyone might care to see of my new TROMIX S-20.

~Gary

post-4853-1175985347_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1175985413_thumb.jpg

Edited by IndyArms

Here are photos of the right side area of the handguard that I routed and sanded out (predominantly using a dremel tool), where my remote pressure pad will be affixed.

Granted, it "aint' pretty" from this view, but the course sanded-out area will be covered by the pressure pad. The pad fits it like a glove!

post-4853-1175985886_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1175986267_thumb.jpg

This is very interesting. I also thought the rail on the Russian tactical came back a little too far. This is an unusual fix. Gary, you know I am waiting for some pics! You are a tease, but like I said eariler, I like to see the progression. And I am very interested to see how this handguard turns out. I am going to keep both my eyes out for pics of your 20.

post-4575-1176001848.gif

This is very interesting. I also thought the rail on the Russian tactical came back a little too far. This is an unusual fix. Gary, you know I am waiting for some pics! You are a tease, but like I said eariler, I like to see the progression. And I am very interested to see how this handguard turns out. I am going to keep both my eyes out for pics of your 20.

Johnny Gun, I appreciate it; your comments... and patience (regarding the final pics of my completed shottie).

Frankly, I've found that modifying the Russian Tactical Forend isn't a daunting task. All one really needs is a hack saw, metal file, and sand paper. After having epoxy pasted the hole left behind by removing a portion of the rail... I find myself groaning at the thought of having to friggen file and sand it down all over again. But patience is a virtue (and after all, I did have to wait three months before Tony was finally able to get to my order).

I suppose routing and sanding out the depression for the remote pressure pad/switch might appear to be tricky... but there really wasn't anything to it. All one really needs is a dremel tool with a grinder bit.... and a steady hand. Naturally, I tried to be careful not to grind and sand down too much material... and I suppose I was fortunate in that regard. I don't have a caliper or device to measure the remaining thickness of the handguard within the depression, but by finger touch I am more than confident that I left plenty thickness remaining in that area.

Were it not for the particular remote pressure pad that came with my laser, I probably would not have done this (create a depression for it). But I feel fortunate in that the pressure pad that I have was ideal for this purpose.

Anyway, in a few more days.... just a few (crossing my fingers). ALL WILL BE DONE! :rolleyes:

Edited by Gary

... more photos showing my current progression.

The following photos depict the hole (that was created after removing the rear portion of the integrated picatinny rail) filled in with PC-7 epoxy paste.... and then sanded down to conform to the handguard's overall shape.

Funny thing about that PC-7 epoxy paste.... I had originally believed it would cure overnight, but such was not the case. In actuality, for this epoxy to reach "maximum" cure, it takes approximately 1 to 2 weeks, depending on the room/environment temperature. Go figure? I waited approx. 5 days after application before sanding.

I will be painting (likely two or three coats) the bottom of the handguard this weekend.

I've additionally included a photo of the mesh screen material I used to act as a reinforcement to the epoxy job. (Heck, I figure it never hurts to "over-build" things... likely, using the mesh screen material is not really needed.) After searching hardware stores and auto parts stores to no avail (I knew exactly what I wanted for screening material, but everything I found in these stores either had screen-holes too big, or the material was too flimsy). It was during a trip to an auto parts store that I happened to notice the pen & pencil holder located near the cash register. I picked it up and gave the mesh pencil holder a squeeze.... and thought "I'll be damned, this is precisely what I'm looking for." Necessity is the mother of invention, right? So, I went to an office supplies store and picked one up for under $2.00 and cut out what I needed.

A stage in this handguard modification process not photographed, was the slight routing-out I did with a standard drill bit within the sides of the hole left behind by removing a portion of the rail, where the mesh screening was to be emplaced (wedged in) and where the epoxy paste would bond. You can see a glimpse of the mesh screening's interaction with the epoxy, when you look at the interior photo of the handguard (second photo below, right side of the epoxy job).... the epoxy is sort of oozing out through the screen mesh at one end of the photo.

post-4853-1176472374_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1176472385_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1176472411_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1176472431_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1176472444_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1177270749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary

You ever gonna get that thing together and post some pics???

Or do you need 94+ emails to get you motivated?

( you know I'm just busting yer chops, right????)

NEW_WEAPON.jpg

You ever gonna get that thing together and post some pics???

Dude, it's my hope that I will be posting all the bloody-pics by this Sunday afternoon. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO IT... and sorry for the delay! :P

Future shortenings of such a rail may be easier if you fill the void first and then machine it away.

That makes sense to me BattleRifleG3. Thanks!

FYI: I hadn't decided (until the forend was returned to me by Tony) whether or not I was going to leave it "as is" with the hole (Cobra76two thought it a good idea to leave the hole, to create better cooling for the barrel as well as essentially act as a palm-warmer for shooting during cold days... :lolol:), or fill it in. So... I would have had to go the route that I did nonetheless.

Edited by Gary

Since this topic thread has been moved to the TECH SECTION of the forum, I thought it appropriate to post two photos of my "completed" modification project of the Russian Tactical Forend with picatinny rail.

I used Rustoleum "High Heat" enamel spray paint (used to repaint barbeque grills; has a heat rating of up to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit) on the handguard. I figured this paint should be able to withstand more than any amount of abuse the handguard might receive through use. I put approximately four coats of paint on it, allowing to dry and lightly sanding between coats.

At close inspection of the photos, you will see a small pin/nail hole located in the center of the handguard (that portion where the picatinny rail was removed). That tiny hole happens to be a bubble or air pocket that occured during the epoxy process. I could have touched it up prior to painting by adding a dab of epoxy paste, but by that point I was impatient to complete the project... and figured "what the hell," it's a friggen tactical forend anyway.

IMHO, I could not be happier with the way things ultimately turned out. Keep in mind, if you decide to attempt something like this; to do what I did.... You need to have a little patience because the entire modification project will take over a week, if you do it right (depending on how long the epoxy you use requires to fully cure).

This project WAS NOT DIFFICULT whatsoever. Unless you truly believe you're the type of person that is "all thumbs"... I believe absolutely anyone could do this.

post-4853-1177272941_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1177272953_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • 1 year later...

moxie1c -- Thank you... I appreciate the words.

FWIW: If I had to do this project over again, the only thing I'd do differently is choose a different type of matt black paint to spray on the handguard and filler (don't use the Rustoleum "High Heat" enamel spray paint... it will forever be coming-off on your hands, ever-so-slightly, which I have to believe has to do with the paint not having been applied to metal. YMMV).

I'm sure there has to be some brand of exterior car paint that would have worked much better.

~Gary

• 3 years later...

Nice work! I will have to see if it feels right for me. Just looking at the photos, It seems like your modification will allow your front hand to rest more naturally.

That was precisely the reason why I cut a portion of the rail off.

Thanks for the kind words!

Below is what my S-20 looked like, once I got it all together the way I wanted it:

post-4853-0-24807800-1343945897_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-11001300-1343946245_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...