Final tuning on my AGP's - I think the Recipe is Complete!&#33

I finally tuned my AGP's. Prior to any mods to them they would not advance a shell up quick enough for some loads including Wolf, which is in my favorites list. I had to sand the insides to thin out the material so the sides of the shells wouldn't hand up on the walls. This seemed to have solved the sticky shell syndrome. I then took a dremel with a polishing felt to smooth them out, and went with a dry graphite lube.

The feed angle syndrome may also be solved by increasing the angle of the front of the feed lips. I can't recall now who initially brought this idea to the forum, but it was a great writeup with a comparison and pics of the AGP verses factory feed lips. Many thanks on this idea. I ran 220 rounds without a low diver failure to go into battery (shell diving into bottom of chamber entrance).

I did this to 5 mags. I did however ruin one pair of feed lips by taking too much material for too high an angle. They pop up too high now and snag the top chamber "tangs". Whoopsy - I was going to try to write a nice letter to AGP and see if they would be willing to send a replacement lip even though I screwed it up with a brief problem description.

So far, these tuning steps should help many out there who still have feed problems with the AGP's. I must give the old blind wise man who drank too much Saki warning though - go slow when sanding or removing any material from your mag!! As all know, taking small bits of material off and then testing is a whole lot easier than trying to put some back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This weekend brings the grab bag test. I have 9 different shells of my tried and true favorites, at least 20 rounds of each. I'm going to take them out into the gulf and do some quick fire off the side of the boat and see if anything hangs up. Most of these I have at least two boxes of, so I plan to cycle at least 300 rounds. Between shooting my test article tuned AGP, I shoot one 5 or 8 rounder of factory of same load. It's all very scientific and would be too hard to describe in laymens S-12 terms. I can say that it will take an empty cooler and some kingfish spoons to verify my theory that my tuning efforts are over.

I'm going to take them out into the gulf and do some quick fire off the side of the boat and see if anything hangs up. Most of these I have at least two boxes of, so I plan to cycle at least 300 rounds.

:lolol: HA HA spending a Saturday shooting 300 rounds off the side of your boat with your Saiga! :super: Now thats the way to spend your weekend! Have fun Bro! :P

I'll say, I had to do this to my mags too. It helped, I still have a bad one I need to do more work on. I was able to finally get my hands on an 8 rnd mag from a member here. I noticed the feed angle was different than the AGP mags. Not sure for the better or not. I had 2 malfunctions with the shell jamming into the top of the chamber with the 8. I'll play with it some more before I try the feed angle mod. Most of the other malfunctions with the 10 rndrs are typically failures to eject, empty gets stuck. I think there is something to the break in theory. I bought my gun used and thought it must be broken in. But it seems to malfunction less the more I shoot it, so the previous owner must not of shot it enough to break it in. So I'll keep pluggin away with it. I put 100 rnds thru it today killing some bowling pins, talk about a lot of fun. I think this is my favorite gun now.

I'm going to take them out into the gulf and do some quick fire off the side of the boat and see if anything hangs up. Most of these I have at least two boxes of, so I plan to cycle at least 300 rounds.

:lolol: HA HA spending a Saturday shooting 300 rounds off the side of your boat with your Saiga! :super: Now thats the way to spend your weekend! Have fun Bro! :P

Yes, I do feel a bit fortunate to pack in both my favorite hobbies sometimes both in the same Saturday or Sunday. I'll run a few miles offshore, start dropping my kingfish spoons off of #2 planers, head to the reefs, troll around the reefs, head out to the 7-11 miles offshore areas where you can shoot freely without the coastgaurd returning heavy fire thinking the Cubans are invading Madiera Beach. Then I bring out my special "fishing pole" bag that actually has an S-12 with AR collapsable stock, a sport bag with 6 10round AGP mags, 4 8rounders, 4 5rounders, and a few boxes of sheels, toss over a few water jugs and balloons. The game is on, just have to make sure you don't melt the clearcoat off the front of the center console area. I made one small mistake one day with 33round mags of 9mm from my Kel-Tec sub2000 glock mags and dropped about 12 hot casings onto the boat on a 100degree day. You can still see where the cases hit and melted little divits into the fiberglass.

Gas to run 10miles offshore: 110.00 USD

Saiga-12 ammo: 75.00 USD

Lost fishing lures due to shooting sports: 35.00 USD

Fun Factor for an S-12 bottle shooting fishing trip in the gulf of Mexico: PRICELESS

to each his own. It is one of the better days of the year when you combine two of your favorite hobbys into a saturday.