Need 10rd Bakelite AK-74 mags.

I have scoured far and wide with the mighty Google, but my query is still unsolved. Does anyone know where I can get 10rd Bakelite AK-74 magazines? I am buying my rifle pretty soon and I want to be equipped ASAP.

I don't think such an animal exists. Your best bet is to block or cut down a 30. Only other option may be a VEPR mag in 5.45, but I'm not sure of the geometry for feeding the rounds (feedramp?), how much, and how easy to get. If you're in a ban state, you may have trouble getting hold of a 30, and more and more of the Peoples states are frowning on blocking and requireing some permanent mod to maintain max capacity (10, 15, etc...).

:osama:

Indeed, I don't belive 10 round bakelite mags were ever produced. There is a 20 round Bakelite mag in a museum in Russia somewhere... don't expect one to ever turn up at a gun show though. Is it the appearance of the orange Bakelite color what you are after, or perhaps you mean polymer when you say bakelite? A 30 rounder could be cut down to size, the middle section removed and the baseplate part re-attached... Perhaps contact the member Dinzag, he does plastic magazine welding to stick two mags together, he might be willing to try and cut one down instead? If not, perhaps you can buy a plastic ten rounder and simulate bakelite with some orange paint and then texturing over that with an uneven red/brown varnish?

Edited by JK-47

found a post on cutting down AK74 mags to make 20 rounders on the AK forums.

<EDIT>: found this tutorial on Gunco.net, though it says you can't do it with Bakelite material: 5 Round AK74 Mag Tutorial

Pasted Text:

Ok here are some pics and details of a 20 rounder I made last night.

First I counted the front ridges on a Bulgarian at 11. I cut just above the 11th and just above the 8th ridge. I cleaned up the shavings and also noticed it didnt match perfectly on the inside as the upper piece was noti lining up. Once that was done I used some epoxy with a 90 second set up and 24 hrs cure and put a bead on the pieces and also a thick bead on the outside. After 4 hrs I sanded it with a dremel and put in the stock spring and loaded it. It took 22 rounds. I let it set overnight loaded and test fired it with no problems the next day (today). Here are the pics.

Anthony

DSC06505.jpg

DSC06506.jpg

DSC06508.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/act...t1/DSC06514.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/act...t1/DSC06516.jpg

DSC06517.jpg

Edited by JK-47
That's pretty cool. I'd be kinda scared that on a fully loaded mag the pressure would bust the epoxy weld though.

It would be easier to just cut the mag, screw in a bottom piece secured at front and back and epoxy the floorplate to the bottom piece.

Edited by avatar

QUOTE: "It would be easier to just cut the mag, screw in a bottom piece secured at front and back and epoxy the floorplate to the bottom piece."

The link to the Gunco forums is a PDF tutorial on doing exactly that. There is a third method mentioned in that AK Forums thread, which involves cutting the bottom part off the mag and using a heat source to bend the plastic at the cut edge into a new floorplate retaining rail. Again I belive this will only with with non-bakelite polymers. This is the post:

"Ok you guys inspired me. I might just be onto a better method.

I went down and selected my oddball mag so not sure how its going to go on any others. I used the one that came with the Tantal kit. Does not appear to be Bulgy and the plastic might be slightly different. But.... here goes

I decided to see if the plastic would deform and reform solidly enough to recreate the lip on its own. Rather than reattaching it in two peices. So I cut off a hunk and left myself some extra to reuse it or to attempt it twice if need be. However I hit it first time it went so good. But... now I will do it again to take more off.. at this point you see I do not know what round count it has. Probably 25. I truely expected to have to do it a couple times before I got it but I didn't.

Then I gently clamped it into the vice, and using a pair of plyers and the heat gun I got it to get soft enough to tug it into lips on each side.

Then let it cool and it hardened real nice. I then dremeled it and filed a notch under the lip so as to allow the floor plate to follow, using the cut off one as a guide. Got it fairly close and beefy enough. Cut a notch in the back edge so the floor plate lip can slip by and...

PRESTO!!!! It worked. Good and solid too. Took 15 minutes. AK20rndr3.jpg

Edited by JK-47

I am not after the color or anything, I just dont want to pay 25-40 bucks for one Saiga 10rd when I am planning to do a feed ramp for using other 10rd mags. I am in Kali so I am limited to 10rds and it seems that the Bakelite mags are the easiest to modify for that purpose.

How good are the steel 10 rounders for fitting in to a Saiga?

There's not a whole lot to choose from. I've read that the Chinese .223 mags don't have quite the same lockup as other (european) mags, and may require more tinkering to get them to work, you can find a 5 round .223 chinese mag here: Buymilsurp.com; they also have 10 round 5.45x39mm mags. You can get used AK74 polymer mags for about 6$ from copesdist.com, so if you could find somone to convert them to 10 rounds for you, or possibly cut them in half and then have them shipped for you to assemble that might be a good solution. You best bet if you can't modify 30 rounders is Kvar, they've got 10 rounders (when they aren't sold out), just make sure you get double stack and not single stack mags. 10 round .223 wasr mags

<Edit> If you're interested, I might be willing to convert some of the used black bulgarian mags to 5 or 10 round capacity. The price would be 16$ each shipped, but I won't do it for less than an order of 3 mags. I'll probably have to become a contributing member to make this offer legit, but that was somthing I intended to do anyway. Pm me if interested.

Edited by JK-47