Need help with a proper scope mount.

Just placed an order for that rail from opticsplanet. I'll post here once I get it set up.

That would be very cool. Let me know if they're decent to do business with and if the thing fits... I was hesitant only because it didn't specify the low-profile like other did. So yes, please, let me/us know.

KW

Just placed an order for that rail from opticsplanet. I'll post here once I get it set up.

That would be very cool. Let me know if they're decent to do business with and if the thing fits... I was hesitant only because it didn't specify the low-profile like other did. So yes, please, let me/us know.

KW

Yeah thats the one thing I'm nervous about (I do hope it rises at least above my sight plane. If not, oh well its quick release.

KW

Yeah thats the one thing I'm nervous about (I do hope it rises at least above my sight plane. If not, oh well its quick release.

Here's a pic of a very similar mount:

yukon_mount.jpg

KW

Here's a pic of a very similar mount:

yukon_mount.jpg

That setup does not encourage me... The picture from opticsplanet.com makes the picture you posted look more low-profile in design...

...I think I'm ordering the Kalinka low-profile one and being done with it. I'll take chances with their service.

KW

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but if you want to wait until I get mine that might save you some of the risk of discomfort. At any rate be sure to post pictures and reviews for the rest of the forum.

Also I'm pretty sure they're essentially the same rail.

BTW, opticsplanet gave me free shipping, if that changes anything...

Edited by Conju

Oh NOW you tell me! :lolol: Nah it's okay, I went with the one at Kalinka. Actually I think by both of us ordering different items it'll make more information for the forum. Plus, they're gun parts. SOMEONE out there will want them! I'm not too worried. :)

I did NOT get free shipping, dammit. Heh.

KW

By any chance does anyone know of a rail adapter or red dot with integrated side mount adapter that slides on from the front of the mount? My current rail slides on and off from the back, and due to the position of my sling mount on the stock, I have to remove that if I want to remove the rail. I'd REALLY love a high rise Eastwave mount or a Kobra, but from what I've seen they both slide on from the back, and not the front. :(

Alternately, anyone with a hi-rise Eastwave or Kobra, will it mount high enough to allow you to still use the iron sights on the top rail of the HALO quad rail for the S-12 in the case of optics failure? As long as I can still use the iron backups by looking under the mount or just ripping the thing off in case of emergency, I'm happy.

I got the Kalinka low-profile scope as suggested earlier.

A few things, good and bad:

Pros:

-- Fast shipping!

-- Overall design, fits GREAT and perfectly on S-12.

Cons:

-- Seems to be a "returned" model. Some screws had rust and screwdriver divots in screw heads, looks as if it had been installed previously.

post-6034-1178762263_thumb.jpg

post-6034-1178762305_thumb.jpg

post-6034-1178762335_thumb.jpg

-- Of the two pieces, when I finally took the thing apart, the top half had a "bubble" from when the metal was poured into the mold right next to one of the four securing screw tap holes.

post-6034-1178762356_thumb.jpg

-- The "quick release," while seemingly quick, is interesting and made of poor materials. It's a foreign counter-clockwise tighten, clockwise loosen system, the thumb ratchet does not really stay on the "screw," and the way it's set up, very few other tools can be used to loosen or tighten the bolt (other than the thumb ratchet it came with) without damage. It'd be nice to re-thread the setup for a decent screw with a hex, phillips or other kind of tightening system. I won't post pictures since it's something common to perhaps all of these from Kalinka.

-- Overall price for what was bought? Roughly $50. Eh. If it lasts long enough until I find a similar style, fine. Who knows, it may be more solid than anything I've ever used.

Conclusion:

If you have to have a low-profile mount, there isn't much out there, this isn't *that* bad, but it's far inferior as far as quality control or materials are concerned. A good "backup," if nothing else is available.

KW