thinking of buying one for hog hunting and shooting

hey all i am looking at a sagia iin 7.62x39 for a shooting rifle for fun and hog hunting and was curious about the accuracy of the sagia. i got to handle one and the rifle felt great in my hands with no serious weight and seemed to have decent balance as well. any info on the accuracy and ease of putting on the scope kit and what the recoil is like witht he rifle

thanks for your help

rkinney11

hey all i am looking at a sagia iin 7.62x39 for a shooting rifle for fun and hog hunting and was curious about the accuracy of the sagia. i got to handle one and the rifle felt great in my hands with no serious weight and seemed to have decent balance as well. any info on the accuracy and ease of putting on the scope kit and what the recoil is like witht he rifle

thanks for your help

rkinney11

I hog hunt with mine all the time. I just built a "Beater" for this. I couple of buddies of mine just got a 500+ lb boar.

took 3 catch dogs to hold him down to shoot. ill post pics soon.

Accuracy- guys have posted 1.5 to 2 MOA (depends alot on the ammo, ie you buy the cheapest wolf 3 MOA might be what your getting)

As for the scope end of the question, do not go with a cover mount they loose their zero. What you want is a siderail scope mount (there is a rail on the left hand side of the reciever) and then you can put an optic in that

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/mountsksak.html

that is an example of a sidemount, make sure you get the "AK" one and not the "SVD" model the rails are different. Also that is one of the better compaies to deal with

the other route is to go all russian and be done with it

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp...amp;ProdID=1166

thanks for the help/ o gpt tp sjppt a saoga 223 today and it was nice a gun. the guy had th lside one mount for the scope and it was nice to use. the one thing i was not sure of was finding the scope. at first i was doing like i normally do and lay my cheek on the stock and couldn't get to the scope. is there a cheek add on you can get to help you hold better? other than that i had a blast with it. but i want the 7.62x39 just for hog hunting and you could hunt with it for deer as well in the close in quarters i hunt in s.e. oklahoma. it is brush country. i would be reloading so i could do what i need to do to get some soft point bullets for it. i really liked the rifle it was a fun shooter

god bless

rob k

With the standard Saiga stock the scope has to be mounted too far forward for standard eye relief scopes. I have shotgun scopes for my Saigas. These have a 5 inch relief and with a low mount you can get a good cheek weld. The American softpoints should work ok on hogs but the imported sp and hp have a spoty record. Some times they blow up and dont penetrate and sometimes they act like a fmj. I have heard good reports on the 154 gr Wolf sp but you should probably limit the range to 75 yards. You only get about 2000 fps. CorBon makes a 150 gr load that looks good but costs a lot. I havent loaded for my x39 yet but I think you could come up with a load for the 150 gr Speer btsp. This bullet has a light jacket and would probably expand at the velocities you could get from the x39. Its a 308 dia bullet but I heard it will give pretty good accuracy from the x39. Just my .02. Let us know how your reloading goes.

Edited by ironhead7544
With the standard Saiga stock the scope has to be mounted too far forward for standard eye relief scopes. I have shotgun scopes for my Saigas. These have a 5 inch relief and with a low mount you can get a good cheek weld. The American softpoints should work ok on hogs but the imported sp and hp have a spoty record. Some times they blow up and dont penetrate and sometimes they act like a fmj. I have heard good reports on the 154 gr Wolf sp but you should probably limit the range to 75 yards. You only get about 2000 fps. CorBon makes a 150 gr load that looks good but costs a lot. I havent loaded for my x39 yet but I think you could come up with a load for the 150 gr Speer btsp. This bullet has a light jacket and would probably expand at the velocities you could get from the x39. Its a 308 dia bullet but I heard it will give pretty good accuracy from the x39. Just my .02. Let us know how your reloading goes.

recently went through the same thing, wanted a "fun gun" and something that would work for hogs

went with the 7.62x39 with the 16" barrel and the draganov style rear stock

I wanted to mount a red dot on it and researched mounts

the dust cover mount is note stable enough for me..

I wanted to go with forward mount, AKA Scout Mount and went with the Ultimak gas tube

the forearm required some work for clearance, not a big deal of you are handy with a dremel

I am shooting 154g SPs from Wolf

didn't get to test it a few weekends ago on a hunt but it is a lot of fun!

buy a s12. load it with 12 guage slugs, and alternate with ONE 15 pellet buck load.

the rifle, is more liek a semi auto 30-30, and although good, the 12 might be better.....for boar...

depends on ehow many shots you want, and how you hunt em, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
buy a s12. load it with 12 guage slugs, and alternate with ONE 15 pellet buck load.

the rifle, is more liek a semi auto 30-30, and although good, the 12 might be better.....for boar...

depends on ehow many shots you want, and how you hunt em, I guess.

I took mine out yesterday and at 50 yards I had no problems keeping all shots in a 3" Shoot And See using the red dot shooting quickly

at 75 yards the group spread a but, but wouldn't have any reservation about going after hogs or deer within a hundred yards

it's not going to replace my Sako 243 which gets 1/2" groups at 200 yards for serious whitetail hunting of course.. but this is sure a whole lot of fun to shoot and great foul conditions hog gun