To Saiga or not to Saiga

What are the advantages of getting an S.223 over a century AK-223? I can get both for about $400. I figure the Saiga + parts for a PG conversion would cost about that.

Does the AK use different mags, less expensive mags than the Saiga? And I think I read the Saiga needs a bullet guide if you want to use hi-cap mags?

Looking for some guidance and a nudge in the Saiga direction :donatello:

What are the advantages of getting an S.223 over a century AK-223? I can get both for about $400. I figure the Saiga + parts for a PG conversion would cost about that.

Does the AK use different mags, less expensive mags than the Saiga? And I think I read the Saiga needs a bullet guide if you want to use hi-cap mags?

I have a century 762X39 and I must say I like it very much. I believe they take a used foriegn kit and build the gun with a US receiver and parts.

I also have at least one Saiga in every caliber. They are made new with all new parts. Yes they look funny until you convert them and set them up the way YOU want them (trigger, stock, sights, ect) then they look and shoot great and are very dependable. I like my Century, it shoots well but I don't care for the plain wood stock it came with and I perfer the double hook or the adjustable two stage trigger. Thanks to the Saiga I have the knowledge, ability, and equipment to change my Century and set it up the way I want it. To do that;

Century Rifle $400.00, I'll say $400.00 but the ones around here are closer to $500.00

new trigger $40.00 to $80.00

Stock and fore end $60.00 to 300.00

The point is, if all you want is a plain stock rifle and you don't plan on doing a lot with or to it, the Century is fine. If you want to make the rifle yours to fit your specific needs, then you are better off with the Saiga. It is brand new and depending on where you find one almost half the price.

Right up front - this is just my opinion, YMMV, etc., etc.

In my opinion:

1) Century workmanship can vary - I purchased a Century Israeli FALO several years ago, and it was 100% reliable for me (I later rebuilt it to PG configuration, with the proper number of compliance parts, in a Red State, and sold it to a friend who has been very happy with it). On the other hand, many people have reported that their Century firearms have obvious defects and/or do not function. My impression? It's a 'crap shoot,' depending on how the 'angry beavers' at Century feel when they are assembling your firearm.

2) The Saigas are made in Russia, with matched Russian receivers, barrels, trunnions, and bolts/bolt carriers - Now, I may be unique, but I've had safety problems with 'cumulative errors' resulting from using too many US-made 'complance parts' in my AK builds, using US-made receivers. Don't get me wrong - I really appreciate having US-made AK receivers available. But my personal preference (after multiple AK parts-kit builds on American receivers) would be for the Saiga conversions - the critical components (receiver, barrel, trunnion, and bolt/bolt carrier) are matched up at the factory, so you don't have to worry about many critical (i.e., 'life-threatening') potential malfunctions the first time you take your Saiga conversion to the range.

3) With a Saiga conversion, you can select the 'hi-cap' mag of your choice - If you like the Izzy mags, you can convert it to take the Izzy mags. If you like the Bulgy mags, you can convert it to take the Bulgy mags. If you need an AR-15 mag adapter, there are professional gun smiths here (like Red Jacket, IIRC, and probably others) that can do the work for you, in a 100% professional & reliable manner.

If you buy Century, then your Century will take whatever mags it will take, and function however it functions...

Edited by Bad Bob