How to keep my Saiga loaded for HD

my solution for long term storage is this:

keep a 15 pellet load CHAMBERED. keep a mag loaded with them, or whatever you need. if you have THE TIME, you can attach the mag, and avoid shell head deforming, with the loaded round. Ive bashed my s12 every which way pretty agressively from time to time on safe with a round chambered and its never accidentally gone off.

you should be able to leave the bolt open if you have a last round bolt - hold - open on your gun, as well. you shouldnt have to replace the spring for YEARS if you never touch it, if ever....

a factory 5 would be and is my recommended choice for long term storage, due to stress and all that lovely crap.

I leave my s12 open bolt, with 3 15 pellet 3" bucks in the mag. havent noticed any problems from it being stored that way. it is when you OVERCOMPRESS spring steel that you have issues. if the spring in your gun's bolt assy is good, then it should last indefinately, as should the mag's. I load 3 because I shouldnt need more than that, and it is not a full mag. ALWAYS load your long term mags short, is my advice. mag springs vary a bit in tolerance.

Thanks.That basically answers my question.

I am looking more for a SHTF type situation.I have a Remington 870 for HD.My Saiga is a Tromix 8" gun and I don't intend on using it for HD etc since I want to avoid using a class 3 firearm for that sort of stuff if possible.

I do however have lots of Federal LE 133-00 and LE 132-00(Flight controlled wad)that I would like to leave stored in mags just in case...well you know. :donatello:

I store all my mags empty, I read in here the springs will distort the plastic on the shells.

That's why I will only fill my ten rounders with max 8 runds for my HD gun.

i think it only distorts them when loaded against the bolt

can someone confirm or deny this theory of mine?

Only the top round will distort, and it has to be pretty bad not to feed, but it can happen with some rounds. I find slugs are the worst for deforming.

I keep my S12 loaded with 10+1 for HD, a slug in the chamber and 000 buck in the mag, full to the top.

Edited by Illuminaughty