Do any of you use choke tubes in the S12?

Hey All,

I'm close to having my S12 converted to have the evil features and have some questions about choke tubes: How many of you use choke tubes?

My position: I'm not a fan of a cylinder bore at all. Most of my shotties use a modified or full choke as I like a tight pattern for maximum energy delivery to target.

What kind of pattern widths do you guys get from a 19" S12?

Thanks for any input.

CMOS

Hey All,

I'm close to having my S12 converted to have the evil features and have some questions about choke tubes: How many of you use choke tubes?

My position: I'm not a fan of a cylinder bore at all. Most of my shotties use a modified or full choke as I like a tight pattern for maximum energy delivery to target.

Thanks for any input.

CMOS

What configuration(bbl) do you have. If it's threaded, then of course you can change out chokes. If it's not, most of the shotguns used to come in full choke (I'm not sure this has continued with the new batches). The markings on the side will give it away, or you could mike the bbl. Or try a dime (if it won't go, you are pretty full choke, IIRC).

Mine is full, has "F(1,0)" stamped on the reciever and a dime doesn't fit (barely). It's full choke. I miked these a while back, Don't remember the numbers but posted in a message that contained the word "stout" a lot (these bbls could double as clubs!).

If you want to change the chokes, you could have the bbls threaded and install a chokes of your choice, or a poly choke.

Hey All,

Thanks for any input.

CMOS

What configuration(bbl) do you have. If it's threaded, then of course you can change out chokes. If it's not, most of the shotguns used to come in full choke (I'm not sure this has continued with the new batches). The markings on the side will give it away, or you could mike the bbl. Or try a dime (if it won't go, you are pretty full choke, IIRC).

Mine is full, has "F(1,0)" stamped on the reciever and a dime doesn't fit (barely). It's full choke. I miked these a while back, Don't remember the numbers but posted in a message that contained the word "stout" a lot (these bbls could double as clubs!).

If you want to change the chokes, you could have the bbls threaded and install a chokes of your choice, or a poly choke.

Does anyone know where to get the original Saiga choke tubes. Mine only came with the Thread cover. My first one came with a full choke but it had to be welded on because of the barrel length.

I'm suggesting and highly recommending that you look at the vented polychoke. It gives the shotgun a nice look and you have what, like 8 chokes at a turn. I absolutely love mine. I'm telling you it is the best thing since sliced bread. Joe cut my barrel so it would index at top center, so whoever does yours that is a good suggestion.

I have a stock 19" w/ a threaded barrel. I got both the modified and full choke through gunbroker from Russia. After patterning, there is little difference between the two. There is a noticable difference between the modified and no choke however.

I have a stock 19" w/ a threaded barrel. I got both the modified and full choke through gunbroker from Russia. After patterning, there is little difference between the two. There is a noticable difference between the modified and no choke however.

Don't know how you are comparing the two, but the "official" definition of choke involves shooting at a large sheet of paper (40 inch butcher paper is prefered), shooting at a mark on the paper from 40 yards back, scribing a 24 inch circle that will cover the majority of the pellets , counting the hits inside the circle. The percentage of hits inside vs total determines the actual choke that you have. I don't remember the percentages, but it's something like 80% = full, 60% = modified. Anyways, it's pretty complicated and most don't do it. The constriction of the choke tubes will give you a good estimate, but it's the difference between the bbl and the choke that is key. Furthering the difficulty is the fact that differing loads will behave differently. So a 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 at 1200 fps from Remington can perform differently than the same recipe from federal. Buckshot patterns are the best example of this. Look at all of the differing 00 patterns that folks report.

But the bottom line is what does what you need. If you need a 10 " pattern of buckshot at 20 yds, then experiment between the choke tubes and various manufactures of buckshot to get one that works.

I don't know how good the Russian chokes perform, but remember that the difference in patterns up close won't be that noticable.

Guys,

I have the standard 19" barrel. I'm pretty sure it's a cylinder bore.

Does this polychoke thread on to the existing threads or is there some custom work to be done?

CMOS

call up polychoke and get their "off brand" choke. it's called Multichoke, it comes off the same machine as the poly, has the same warranty and uses the same materials. the only difference is it's 10 bucks cheaper. and yes it thread on the external threads of the saiga.

I just ordered a Polychoke from one of Russian-American Armory's dealers. With the adjustable choke and some experimentation with different loads I'll have a pretty good change to get a combo that she like to eat.

Thanks for all the help.

CMOS

I just ordered a Polychoke from one of Russian-American Armory's dealers. With the adjustable choke and some experimentation with different loads I'll have a pretty good change to get a combo that she like to eat.

Thanks for all the help.

CMOS

I ordered a polychoke yesterday and got it today directly from polychoke. Granted they are in the same state as me, but order was shipped fast and they were friendly on the phone.