Mag shortening

FWIW

This mag holds 15 rds of .223.

White point is where the floor plate flange ends. Continue that line up the front of both sides. When you cut remember to switch which side of the line you leave at the lower red line.

Red points: Both were marked with a try square from the front curve of the mag.

The lower is up just past where the rear of the mag thins to normal.

The higher is marked to make the total whatever you've decided.

The yellow point shows where the mag has the black paint on the front. I believe this is where the steel reinforcement ends. This is not a problem to cut as long as you know it's there.

The black point marks how I skived the rear of mag. (see inset} The top section was cut completely across then filed to fit the lower part. Run the cut on the lower until it just touches the inside on the rear then remove both sides for about an inch then file the tab making a compromise between a long glue joint surface and 'too thin to matter'.

You can see the red and white lines join in an arc. The radius is a little larger than a Dremel sanding drum. This is easy to fit the lower section to as you go.

I left the top part front of the mag long and cut and sanded it flush last.

The reason for the 's' curve is to have as long a glue joint as practicable.

I used wood blocks inside the mag to hold it and epoxied as much of the joint as I could without gluing the blocks in. Came back later and completed the joint from the outside. Excess was sanded off and the mag polyurethaned.

The inside was checked for restrictions but doesn't have to be perfect as the follower never passes completely below the joint.

I recommend that you cut the mag a little short and tune the fill by trimming the follower skirt. Cut the spring to a length that works and reassemble.

post-4783-1180714300_thumb.jpg

FWIW

This mag holds 15 rds of .223.

Looks great, for those of you who love orange bakelight mags! (And I was there myself, at one time, so I can definitely identify! ;>)

Right now, I just use the cheapo & ultra-durable 12-rd Galil mags, with simple modifications...

FWIW, YMMV, etc...