What is the big deal about modifying your Saiga

The AK was designed with a pistol grip. The saiga is a re-design, but not to address some deficiency- just to make it legal to import. I think M. Kalashnikov got it right the first time, the pistol grip keeps the OAL shorter, center of balance closer to the body, slightly better ergonomics, and gives quicker reaction speed and improves pointability. The mag change difference between an unconverted and converted saiga is pronounced; the gun was designed to have a PG. No one is making you convert, and luckily no one is tell us we can't convert. To each his own. Personaly I like pickles, lettuce, mayo, red onions and ketchup on mine, hold the tomatos.

Fellow Saigaists

I can't understand the rational about putting a pistol grip or folding stcok on your Saiga to make it look like a "real AK". They won't shoot better or be better in any measurable way.

It is money better spent, IMO shooting and purchasing cartridges. Learn to shoot better and be more accurate.

Perhaps the 308 forum isnt the best place to vent but I think most Saiga owners read all of the sub boards.

No offense to those who have performed these modifications. Just don't understand the rational.

shoot

223308 (or 7,62x54R or 7,62x39) Pick your military caliber.

Not a bad opinion in my estimation, I thought the same thing when I got started with the saiga. However a PG conversion is so easy and it improves balance and the trigger, that it's worth the $'s in my estimation. If you just want the saiga for a hunting pole, then I see your point for sure.

The 16 in saigas still balance pretty well, but the 21's are pretty barrel heavy. When you combine forward balance with a trigger that pulls up instead of back, then you really need to adjust to it if you shoot other guns. The Saiga/AK was designed for a short stock and a pistol grip. Once you put those back on the rifle, then you really begin to appreciate the handy feel of the AK. Having a rifle that balances properly is a measurable benefit, an added benefit to that is the fact that the trigger when you do a PG conversion will generally be smoother.

To each his own however, I'd be much happier with a stock 16 in saiga than lots of other rifles I can think of.

My $0.02:

Both styles of stocks have merits for both "sporting" and defensive uses. There was never supposed to be a distinction.

A curved grip buttstock is better in war if you need to beat someone with it or plunge a bayonet into them.

A separate pistol grip is better for shooting for high accuracy when stationary, and for keeping accuracy during repeated fire.

Shooting on a moving target depends entirely on the balance of the gun. The conversion restores the center of gravity closer to the rear, and improves the trigger. The non-conversion moves the center of gravity lower. Which is better is up to you. Some drag stocks for angle cut receivers offer a good compromise.

EVERYTHING depends on your skill and various strengths, which may favor one version over the other.

I think the Saiga world would be very much at a loss not to appreciate both configurations. Any negative remark against one config by a fan of the other is just plain ridiculous.

The one position I'll take is that yes, the unconverted S-308 trigger favors a non-vertical grip. I'm starting to recommend my classic CCG stocks instead of the more vertical QPG stocks for 308 owners. But when doing the standard conversion, that's a non-issue.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Because a hunting stock on an AK is just plain wrong :lolol:

Actually, I shot an unconverted S12 with slugs at the range this weekend and forgot how much I didn't like it. The pistol grip on my S12 helps me absorb much more of the recoil. Better balance and better trigger pull is welcome be me. To each his own.

my thoughts exactly, to each his own. one thing to remember is that the anti's never try to go against ALL weapons....they go and make "sensible" laws...i've owned three saigas and and three ex-military ak's and at least ten other rifles....some PG some sporter, personaly...i give a thumbs up to the genius who said.... "hey, these guys want a russian ak, right? well shit, what do we need to change to legaly sell them that?"...... and since then we've had the saiga.....I LOVE IT, and I'm not even gonna tell you my preference....yeah right, it's actually

1-PG with folder for truck gun.

2-THUMBHOLE stock for full-lenth target rifle

3- sporter stock on my double-barrel.

whats the use in a massive gun with only so much barrel? i mean seriously?

but, we gotta stop bashing on each other and stick together, because it aint the "crazy AW lovers" we need to fear and neither should we bash "those double-barrel totin' red-necks"...seriously we're all gun folk, and to each his own. :rolleyes: