This is a custom built VZ58, (not a commercial vz2000), 7.62x39. Action is totaly different than an AK. The bolt uses a drop-down pivoting lock piece that locks the bolt into the receiver. When the bolt slams forward, the bolt carrier forces the locking piece down so the two lock lugs would engage slots cut into the receiver. On the recoil stroke, the backward-moving bolt carrier raises the lock piece to allow the bolt to open and eject the spent case. The mag is 30 rounds with a LRBHO. The flash hider is fashioned after an authentic one used on VZ's with night vision scopes. Despite it having a milled receiver the rifle weighs about two pounds less than an AK.

IMG_8654.JPG IMG_8653.JPG

Thats really awesome. Out of curiosity, Where is the saftey and what type is it?

The safety is on the right side of the receiver. Pointing down is safe, and forward is fire. This piece had to be welded and recut to have the proper configuration since the original safety had a full auto position from one of the old parts kits.

That's an awesome weapon! What did you end up using for a receiver? Looks like a lot of hours went into making a fine looking weapon.

The receiver was made in Slovakia. It is milled and heat treated, and very elaborate, so it cost about $460. I had an 07FFL friend (manufacturer of firearms except DD's) mill it out to accept double stack mags. We bought some parts kits as well as armorer's kits for parts, and duplicated some of them to meet 922r compliance. Working on the project intermittently for a month or so we made several of these semiautos. The mags are different than those on an AK and there is a LRBHO mechanism in the gun as well as a special tab on the mags to activate it. The FH is just a squeak too big to allow the bayonet to be mounted, but this type of FH is relatively rare so thought we'd use it as a more novel feature. They have an 800m rear leaf sight. The action is different in part in that the gas piston is not connected to the bolt carrier, and there is no hammer in the traditional sense, but a 'striker.' Glad you like it, cuz yes, it was a lot of work.

I've always been curious about the accuracy of the VZ58 as compared to a similarly configured AK47 firing the same ammo. My suspicsion is that the VZ has more potential for accuracy than the AK, because of the differences in the gas system. Also wanted to point out that the wieght savings probably come mostly from the bakelite furniture and the strut-type folding stock. Altogether it was a very neat design, but it failed the popularity contest because you couldn't use regular AK mags for it, even if it was chambered in 7.62x39 (rather than x45). Apparently the x39 mags for the VZ weren't usable in other AK's either. Consequently, a fair number of them were found ditched in favor of a "real" AK by Northern troops in Vietnam. That's how i heard it anyway. <shrug>

I've always been curious about the accuracy of the VZ58 as compared to a similarly configured AK47 firing the same ammo. My suspicsion is that the VZ has more potential for accuracy than the AK, because of the differences in the gas system. Also wanted to point out that the wieght savings probably come mostly from the bakelite furniture and the strut-type folding stock. Altogether it was a very neat design, but it failed the popularity contest because you couldn't use regular AK mags for it, even if it was chambered in 7.62x39 (rather than x45). Apparently the x39 mags for the VZ weren't usable in other AK's either. Consequently, a fair number of them were found ditched in favor of a "real" AK by Northern troops in Vietnam. That's how i heard it anyway.

You are correct in that the short stroke gas system improves the accuracy and reduces felt recoil during firing. I've read where the VZ's were the rifle of choice of the Indian and Vietnamese special forces and Indonesia's naval commandos and were chosen over the AK's. They are still in service with all branches of the Czech and Slovak armies, but are being phased out. True, the mags are not interchangeable with AK mags, but currently are readily available at a cheap price.

Looks like I need to be saving up for that receiver, in addition to the FAL and Galil receivers, so I can stock up to finish my kits, before the potential new AWB can go through...

The receiver is elaborately milled and heat treated so the high quality explains in part the high cost. By the way NodakSpud sometimes has FN/FAL receivers if you are looking.

Your first name isn't Chlamydia is it? ;)

Your first name isn't Chlamydia is it? ;)

Hmm...no , but I've had more contact with it than a marine :unsure: (I study the bug).

It seems like Nodakspud was going to produce the FAL receivers, then made a limited run (I was told that basically if I wan't on the waiting list, I wasn't getting one). They haven't updated that portion of their website in a while, so maybe I'll just drop an email just to make SURE they don't have any lying around.

Tritium: Didn't know about the Special Forces use, or the continued service in the Czech Republic (though it shouldn't have surprised me at all). Thanks for the information. The thing about them being ditched was related to me by my father, based on his experience in Vietnam. I guess they'd find them abandonned pretty regularly. I guess they were getting AK variants wherever they could. Captures he got his hands on came from Russia, China, Germany, Czechoslovakia, etc. I'd love to have a VZ 58, but money is a concern for that. Maybe someday.

I think I remember something about titanium receivers being available for these guns. You have any idea? That would certainly improve on the weight as well. I do have a few questions if you don't mind me picking your brain for a bit.

1) How similar is the gas-system to the one used on the SKS?

2) Have you conducted any accuracy trials against other AK's?

3) Could you give me an idea what kind of groups your getting?

4) How much different is the field-stripping process from the AK?

Thanks for your patience. You just caught something that I've always been curious about. Hope you enjoy that gun. She's a beauty.

Hi Tokageko-

Glad you like 'er. Thought it was a little out of the ordinary. I have it on pretty good authority that there were no titanium receivers, as the locking lugs are part of the receiver and titanium is too soft and the headspacing would soon get out of whack. The locking system by the way is very similar to that on a P-38. Compared to the SKS the VZ has one piston, similar to an FN but without the gas regulator, whereas the SKS has a two part piston. In field stripping, the VZ receiver cover only extends over the rear half of the opening and the bolt carrier occupies the forward half, slipping under the rear cover when cycling. The cover has two springs attached to the rear of the cover that extend forward, one into the carrier and one into the striker. The cover is held on by a sliding cross pin. The bolt carrier slides to the rear and is removed by lifting vertically through slots in the rail that accomodate it. The bolt comes out of the carrier easily and the striker pulls out of the rear of the bolt by twisting it into a certain position allowing it to clear a channel. There is a LRBHO system whereby an ear on the follower of the mag protrudes up once the last shell is ejected, and presses up on a pin that then extends through the receiver to prevent the bolt carrier from recoiling forward all the way, allowing the bolt to remain open.The upper handguard is also held in by a cross-pin easily removed manually and the piston is slipped over a small detent under the rear sight leaf area to remove it. A folding or fixed stock is held on by one large screw that can be changed in less than a minute.

I hope to get to the range next week and see how it performs, and will bring along an AK103 clone for comparison, so hope to report later on that aspect.

I've been told the insurance value of the rifle is about the same as an AR10, particularly if you compare it to the commercial VZ2000's that are out there.

Hope you find this info useful/interesting.